Archinect
anchor

If I was a younger you from the past, (senior, highschool) what advice would you give me?

Big G

I am actually a rising senior in highschool, and I Would love some advice on how to pursue my dream of becoming a big league architect.

Really, I just want to build big man! Stadiums and skyscrapers, big parks and the wacky controversial structures that people buzz about. I want to build the stuff that was in all those architecture books I read as a child, I want to fulfill my childhood dream!

I don't want to be stuck in some small scale local firm like the one I am interning in now planning soulless strip malls and old folks condos for baby boomers. It's all too small scale,  I want to go BIG! (I know I am lucky to be interning this young, it is a great job and I am very thankful for it

But how? What can I do right now that will lead me to the big leagues, is it already to late? Or can I still be one of the greats?

Jul 12, 16 10:55 pm
citizen
  • Learn to draw by hand.
  • Read as much as you can.
  • Learn to write well.

Also...

• Stay close with good friends.
  • Wear sunblock.
  • Don't get a perm.
Jul 12, 16 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Network like hell. You never know who's going to be able to connect you to the starchitect of your dreams.
Jul 12, 16 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

AIBD

Jul 12, 16 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Before College

• Learn to code
  • Study at least two other spoken languages
  • Spend a summer abroad before you start college and repeat during college

During College

• Be active in clubs, go greek, be a part of student government, meet people outside of your major...network network network
  • Always take a full course load every semester, no less than 18 hours. Take classes in art, business, computer science, law, biology, psychology, etc.
  • Use your university's facilities. Build chairs, build a book case, build a desk, 3d print things for your apartment, just build something with your hands and with current tech
  • Build your own PC and learn how components compliment each other
  • Intern every summer. Never take a summer off, work or travel but never stay home
  • Don't work for a small firm. It's easier to go from large to small, not small to large
  • College is a time to challenge yourself and your ideas. Don't buy into the safe space bullshit
  • Start investing with the earnings from your first summer job. 

After College

• Work in the field, do construction management. Spend time with the guys pouring concrete, erecting steel, finishing drywall, installing doors. Buy them coffee, watch them work, ask them questions
  • Get on the most complicated projects available. People who want to punch the clock 9-5 will avoid these. Say yes to every challenge
  • Work weekends, work long hours, don't complain. Put in the time while you're starting out
Jul 13, 16 2:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
To add to the above:

1. Don't ever accept unpaid internships.
2. Don't crowd source major life decisions or school projects to online discussion forums.
Jul 13, 16 4:36 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

2. Don't crowd source major life decisions or school projects to online discussion forums.

^^ This

Jul 13, 16 4:45 am  · 
 · 
Marry into wealth if you aren't born into it.
Then spend every waking minute on architecture. I've met a few of the star architects. They are all charming. That may or may not speak to the networking thing

They are also ruthlessly dedicated to design and let a lot of the other stuff go the wayside. None of them spend any time worrying about building stuff with their hands or any of that master builder stuff, but they are deeply into what they do. Way beyond lifestyle. It is an impressive thing.

Basically it's about focus.
Jul 13, 16 5:41 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I advise you to put some soul in the strip malls.

Seriously though, it is never too late to do what you want. You are a senior in high school and you think you are too old to realize your dream? Have you been brainwashed?

Jul 13, 16 8:12 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

use condoms

Jul 13, 16 10:27 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Dear Younger Me:

You were wrong about choosing architecture over investment finance in 1989.

Love,

Older You

Jul 13, 16 11:46 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Develop an attitude of doing what it takes no matter what - read Brian Tracy's "No Excuses"

I myself took many cues from the Marines - set impossible goals and meet them - then go another 10 miles. Don't settle for 2nd best - Good enough isn't

read Jeff Bezo's and Steve Job's 

Jul 13, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

be more humble and not so cocky.

start from the bottom and work your way up.

Jul 13, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
proto

clients want to work with people they like, know & trust

whether you become an architect or not, take the "network" advice to heart and you will be fine

Jul 13, 16 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

don't eat the brown acid

Jul 13, 16 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Go to a school with name brand recognition so you can get in with alumni.

Also try to befriend rich people as they are the people who hire architects.
Jul 13, 16 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I smell Ballskin.

Jul 14, 16 12:42 am  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Dear younger me, get an actual useful degree, buy AAPL FB AMZN, every blue chip in 2009 and Bitcoin. Build my own fucking projects.

Jul 14, 16 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Marry into dusty old money.

Jul 14, 16 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

"Buy a tuxedo before you are thirty. Stay that size."

Jul 14, 16 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

keep dreaming

Jul 15, 16 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Marry into dusty old money.

or

"Buy a tuxedo before you are thirty. Stay that size."

if you have a choice between the two. . .

i don't even know.  both sound like good options.  both sound like choices i wasn't smart enough to make.

Jul 15, 16 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

GTFO

Jul 17, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: