Archinect
anchor

USA B.Arch + 3 years experience, UK Employment Likelihood?

audreybardwell

I will possibly be required to relocate to the UK for my husband's job, and I was wondering what the likelihood of employment with my US qualifications would be in the UK?

I have a Bachelor of Architecture, which is a 5-year professional degree, and I also have 3 years of experience at a small but busy practice. My software skills include Revit, AutoCAD, Sketchup, Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office. My experience with Revit included converting the current office CAD standards into a Revit workflow.  I am not a licensed architect in the US, however.

I feel highly competent for architectural work in the US but am worried UK employers won't be keen on hiring someone without a UK or EU architectural degree or UK experience? Will it be like starting from scratch?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Jul 12, 16 1:55 pm

Hi Audrey,

I personally did exactly what you are describing, I moved from the US to the UK shortly after graduation to work at in a London-based office. See my responses to your questions below.

What the likelihood of employment with my US qualifications would be in the UK?

Given the architecture industry is doing very well right now, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a position. If you are moving to London you will likely have more opportunities because that market generally deals with more international applicants (despite the recent vote). What will your visa situation be there? This will also play a factor. 

I feel highly competent for architectural work in the US but am worried UK employers won't be keen on hiring someone without a UK or EU architectural degree or UK experience?

This isn't an issue, although you may want to think about your personal career goals, i.e. overseas IPD hours. Previously you could earn overseas hours to fulfill at least a portion of the experience requirements. However I don't see it as an option in the latest AXP Guidelines.

Will it be like starting from scratch?

With only three years of experience you might be starting close to the bottom, but that really depends on the type/size of firms you are looking to join. 

Good luck!

Jul 13, 16 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: