Archinect
anchor

Creative ways to build a rigid table

martinsona

Dear Architects, 

I want to build a table for my 3D printer that is very rigid in that it doesn't move when the printer is moving. My two main criteria are function and beauty and so I'm thinking about building one using trusses and struts. My preferred building material is plywood. 

It doesn't need to be perfect, I just want a little extra sturdyness. There are no strong forces, it's a really tiny DIY kit printer.

a) Can you recommend a good resource to get started reading about how to design structures using trusses and struts?

b) Harmonic movements - do you know if there's a nice (looking) way to deal with the movement that extends to actively counteracting harmonic movements instead of just resisting them structurally? For example a pendulum of sorts? I've also thought about using electromagnets and inertial measurement units to more a mass hanging under the table.

I'm not looking for someone to solve my problem, just if someone has a nice idea, inspiration and primarily some good pointers for good reference material, I'd be super thankful!

Cheers!

Jul 10, 16 3:04 pm
Schoon

A miniature scale mass damper under your table will serve no function, unless you plan on building a really flimsy table.

You should focus on making the tabletop stiff (won't bend under the weight of your printer) and the connections rigid (force transmitted immediately from table to leg to floor).  If you're interested in the mathematics, any book on Statics is a good place to start.  

Jul 10, 16 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Fix any table to the ground and it will be way more rigid. 

Jul 11, 16 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Jul 11, 16 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This should give you a few ideas.

Jul 12, 16 8:53 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

butcher block on 2x4s

Jul 12, 16 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: