Archinect
anchor

Which states can you complete IDP (AXP) while in school

CLOCLO

I live in NY and have complete nearly 3,000 hours of the 3,740 hours required by IDP (I know it is now AXP). I already have all the hours required for interning under a licensed architect. However, I completed all of those hours while still a student and from my understanding NY state will not accept these hours since they require 3 years of internship after graduation.    

I know I want to become licensed. However, I'd rather not wait 3 more years and still feel chained by the requirements shown by IDP/AXP. I want to have the freedom in my career to choose a position where I wouldn't necessarily have to work for a licensed architect or have to worry about fulfilling certain requirements.

For these reasons, I was considering getting licensed in another state for the time being so that my hours would be recognized. Eventually, down the road, in maybe 5-10 years I would get reciprocity in NY but not have to worry about IDP. I don't think I would need to use my license until then anyways. However I'd rather just get it and not have to worry about it anymore. Does anyone know states where I could pursue licensure without the requirements like NYS? Any knowledge on Florida's requirements as I am maybe considering moving down there eventually anways. Any thoughts appreciated.

Jul 9, 16 6:47 pm
cipyboy

I thought NYS licensing is much attainable. I would suggest Fl but check w NCARB first. 

Jul 13, 16 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

In NY, you need 3 years of experience and IDP completed. Your IDP can count toward the 3 years as long as the completed IDP was at a firm recognized by NYS. Again, not all entities are legally allowed to offer architectural services in NYS. For example, an LLC is NOT allowed to offer architectural services in NYS. Any experience completed at an LLC will count toward IDP, but will not count toward licensing in NYS. 

Jul 13, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

By-the-way: in NYS- you don't necessarily need a B.Arch or M.ARch to get licensed. You just need a 4 year B.S.C. in Architecture. 

Furthermore, I contacted my board a long time ago to find out if I can get licensed in another state first without 3 years of experience and the Board said that I cannot. The reason is that NYS wants you to get NYS-specific experience. That's why I caution you to be careful what type of firm you apply to outside of NYS, because if you choose to complete your IDP at an LLC in FL, it won't count in NY.

Hope this helps.

Jul 13, 16 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
nicholass817

NYS will accept a NCARB certificate in leiu of the education, experience, and examination requirements.  We are considering perusing a couple jobs in NYS and have looked into this recently.  

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/arch/article147.htm

Section 7034 (4)

Jul 14, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: