Archinect
anchor

can you give me some ideas on how to fix up my house?

go do it

Jul 9, 16 5:58 pm

paint it orange

Jul 9, 16 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I prefer the mailbox to be located on the left of the stair... 

Jul 9, 16 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

eyebrows.

Jul 9, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

and lipstick.....

Jul 9, 16 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Imo you should call up a local architect. They're pretty knowledgable about that stuff.
Jul 9, 16 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

The anthropomorphism of the facade is exquisite.  I'd enhance that feature, ironically layering and juxtaposing industrial materials to expose the absurdity of domestic life as a cultural ideal in the late digital age.

And plant some geraniums.  Geraniums are nice.

Jul 9, 16 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Paint the stairs red to look like a tongue.  

Jul 9, 16 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Also, I think the house is Indian.  I see a bindi. 

Jul 9, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

I called an architect and he sent me to a dentist.

Jul 9, 16 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

go do it,

Aren't you the architect?

Jul 9, 16 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

No, I wanted to make money so I became a contractor :)

Jul 10, 16 12:07 am  · 
 · 

LOL! Good one.... but then wtf are you doing here? (jokingly and not meant to be demeaning)

Right now, I'm an asshole and more or less an Arkitekt / Arkkitehti in a few countries besides a building designer in Oregon / U.S. and some point also be a contractor. I won't necessarily do that with the other countries as that's more a PITA to function as the contractor but can apply the contractor stuff more locally. 

Yet, I'll still be an asshole.

Jul 10, 16 12:58 am  · 
 · 
How's that Fantasyland of yours treating you?
Jul 10, 16 1:34 am  · 
 · 
midlander

cut down the trees in back. they obscure the horizon.

Jul 10, 16 1:48 am  · 
 · 

Josh,

Think positive and ye will see the positives in life. For ye who only thinks negative sees only negative. 

Jul 10, 16 2:06 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Right now, I'm an asshole and more or less an Arkitekt / Arkkitehti in a few countries

No, you're not. That term is reserved for people with a professional degree in architecture in those countries. You're confusing the fact that in North America, people need to pass licensing exams to be called an Architect, while in those countries, they are "Arkitekts" when they finish professional schooling. You have done neither.

But you are an asshole.

Jul 10, 16 4:22 am  · 
 · 

Bench,

You are wrong. You are mistaken. People only need to pass licensing in North America and more specifically, the states / provinces and some territories of the countries in North America to PRACTICE ARCHITECTURE IN THOSE STATES/PROVINCES/TERRITORIES. Which means to design or offer to design buildings (not otherwise exempted) with the intent to be built in those respective states/provinces/territories. Title and practice are inter-related in that sense. However, there has to be a certain nexus and jurisdiction. Oregon doesn't control the world and the internet is not Oregon. 

Lets now get to the fact of Sweden's laws, Norway's laws and Finland's laws and Denmark's laws. There is no architect title and protection act. The general title of architect, arkkitehti, or even arkitekt is not reserved, protected or otherwise. In Sweden, the title "arkitekt, msa" is protected as a trademark not arkitekt. So putting "arkitekt, msa" after your name is like saying you have an M.Arch. It's like saying Certified Professional Building Designer vs. Building Designer. One is protected as a trademark while the other is not. 

To be an arkitekt or arkkitehti is to practice the art and science of architect. It doesn't matter how you learn it. It is customary to go to college to learn architecture but architecture is not only taught or learned in college. 

Just so you know, I did read their laws governing practice. 

I can't use "arkitekt, msa." after my name. I didn't get a degree conferred by their college and have this title conferred by the Society of Swedish Architects. However, one doesn't have to be a member of that society to practice architecture. It's not COMPULSORY.

The term architect or the generic Swedish/Norwegian/Danish (same spelling for the three languages 'arkitekt') or Finnish spelling of architect ('arkkitehti') is not reserved because it's not protected by licensing laws nor is there any title restrictions. It boggles your mind that countries in the world that isn't some third world country doesn't have licensing laws. Amazing it is but you also need to realize even in the U.S., there are territories that falls outside state laws and federal government does not have nation-wide federal licensing laws but certain federal territories have territorial laws that applies such licensing.

Each country determines for itself. Each country is a sovereign state. State of Oregon or Washington or any of the 50 states of the U.S. are member states of one sovereign state called the United States. They do not have sovereign reign like each countries. Even the individual countries of the European Union are sovereign states because each of them are independent nations of a federation or confederation of countries as a member of the E.U.

Now, in Finland, the acronym SAFA such as "firstname lastname, arkkitehti SAFA" or "firstname lastname, architect SAFA" or similar titles containing SAFA would be protected much like having AIA, AIBD, CPBD or similar acronyms following your name in this architectural field of commerce. 

Jul 10, 16 5:07 am  · 
 · 
Bench

I quit. You will always force an incorrect interpretation of whatever suits your worldview and that supports your interests. There is no point in arguing with an insane person.

By the way - I've actually lived in Sweden and Finland.

Jul 10, 16 5:35 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's a great house go do it.  if it really is your house, definitely paint the stairs red.  also i think it needs a nose.  sorry your thread got derailed by rick's nonsense.

seriously though, rick did you actually send a letter to sweden, or something equally stupid, just so you can pretend to be an architect?

Jul 10, 16 9:40 am  · 
 · 
go do it

No it is not my house

The thread is just a little poke of fun at the people that come on here to get design advice from strangers instead of doing their own research or getting local architectural advice.

Getting back to the fun. The local building department said I could not fix the tooth because it would inhibit headroom at the stairs.

Jul 10, 16 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Little does Rick know, you still have to pass exams in the countries mentioned to get hired, but said exams are part of getting your degree.

There's got to be a dealer making money off Rick in Astoria. Something must be pretty potent.
Jul 10, 16 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Bench,

When you were a kid? Come on. This doesn't mean you know what your talking about. I've read the actual laws from the GOVERNMENT of SWEDEN and FINLAND. OFFICIAL SOURCES INCLUDING OFFICIAL ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS. 

Hell man, just look. Sweden and Finland does not have any statutory regulation of any kind over the architect title. The title "ARKITEKT MSA" is protected and conferred when you obtain your masters degree in architecture from a university in Sweden. That's like saying you have an M.Arch or a D.Arch or Phd. Okay. 

There are people who happen to live in U.S. and Canada but doesn't know jack shit about the laws of where they lived. 

Just because you LIVED there once upon a time ago, does it mean you know what the law actually says. EVERY FIELD out there that is of intellectual orientation (vs. physical labor oriented) that pays more than minimum wage is a field that you customarily get a degree from a college/university.

Instead of assuming, do in fact, do your LEGAL research. A good lawyer or even a paralegal does that. There are tons of official sources and second hand credible sources that proves what I said.

I'm not going to argue about a person customarily having a degree. Architecture is type of art. Architects are artists of a particular kind. You can go to art school to learn the skills to become an artist or you can self-teach and practice art but you only become an artist when you practice art. Until you practice and do art, you are not one. Until you practice architecture, your not one. Designing houses, additions, renovations is in the domain of architecture. 

Jul 10, 16 10:45 am  · 
 · 

That house is adorable. Love it. If the landscaping were well-maintained it would just look so funny - so intentional.

It's got a bit of a mohawk going, too.

Jul 10, 16 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Little does Rick know, you still have to pass exams in the countries mentioned to get hired, but said exams are part of getting your degree.

Or you practice and build a portfolio of work. There are exams but guess what Josh, exams are third party assessments. By the way, the profession of architecture is not regulated so all I really have to do is engage practice. All I have to do to is engage business there, establish VAT records and other business related paper work as a foreign individual engaging business (self-employed). 

https://www.arkitekt.se/information-for-foreign-architects-looking-for-work-opportunities-in-sweden/

Look here, asshats.

But remember, anyone can be an architect with or without a degree. Not everyone is conferred a degree if their chosen path to practice doesn't involve going to a school.

Anyone can be an artist. People can go to school and get an MFA but doesn't mean they are going to be a good artist. They should at least been trained with a range of knowledge and skills. 

Exams don't make you an architect. You're not really truly architect until you practice it. A license doesn't make you one. In U.S., a license is to authorize the use of the title and authorizes you to practice. But unless you do it, you're not one. 

You can have a driver's license or a hunting license but if you don't drive, you're not a driver. If you don't go out and hunt, you're not a hunter. You just have a license.

Jul 10, 16 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Actually, I lived there in 2013-14. I conducted primary thesis research in Sweden and then attended exchange to Helsinki. You can even find my Archinect blog about it! Fun! For a post-script, I was also hired to work in Norway on the same trip (but due to a medical emergency wasn't able to accept the job).

Josh summed it up effectively. You don't get to call yourself an architect because you feel like it. You are not an architect/arkitekt/arkitetti in scandinavia - the fact that you claimed so above is straight-up illegal. You're just a sad little man in his parents attic convincing yourself you're a pretend architect. Good day.

Jul 10, 16 11:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Call a dentist, not an architect.
Jul 10, 16 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
You all do realize his name is Rick and he is rollin us, right?
Jul 10, 16 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Someone should hire Rick to troll Trump.

Good luck getting a work visa, Rick.
Jul 10, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Bench,

Show me the law or shut the fuck up. I looked at the law. 

Architect is not a degree title, idiot. It is a title of a profession. Architecture is not regulated in Sweden. 

I already showed you one credible source. The very organization to issues the title reserved title for those WITH a degree:

https://www.arkitekt.se/information-for-foreign-architects-looking-for-work-opportunities-in-sweden/

Swedish Association of Architects

You may apply to become a member of our Association whenever you wish, we only require a copy of your degree certificate to be sent together with your application which can be found here. For assessment of your qualification, please contact Swedish National Agency for Higher Education.
Strictly speaking, we only give advice to our members in questions of e.g. employment and salaries but of course we will provide limited advice before a job interview even if you are not yet a member. However, once you have an employment we recommend you to become a member immediately.
The title “architect” is not protected in Sweden; however the Association has their own recognized titles that you may apply for. To obtain the title, you need to have a Bachelor as well as a Master Degree in Architecture and two years of working experience from an EU country.

By the way, even the title arkitekt and arkkitehti are not protected. They are just the generic architect title in the language. 

https://www.arkitekt.se/medlem/medlemsformaner/   (if you click Google translate which is sufficiently accurate enough to the meaning)

Job Titles :  Only you are a member who is entitled to hold any / some of the professional titles SAR / MSA, LAR / MSA SIR / MSA and FPR / MSA, an important and useful membership benefit.

YrkestitlarDet är enbart du som är medlem som har rätt att inneha någon/några av yrkestitlarna SAR/MSA, LAR/MSA, SIR/MSA och FPR/MSA, en viktig och användbar medlemsförmån.

Just so you know, in Sweden, it is the SAR/MSA after the occupational title like.... Anders Nyquist, architect SAR/MSA. The SAR/MSA and like group of letters following architect or arkitekt or arkkitehti that is reserved for those with degrees from Sweden's universities. That is reserved. 

I wouldn't worry about such letters because when it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter. There is NO architectural licensing board in Sweden, Finland, Norway or Denmark. It is not like the U.S. or even the U.K.  

It's like any other other occupation that doesn't have architectural licensing. You haven't lived one life time with any memories of when in the U.S., there was states that didn't have architectural licensing laws. These countries don't regulate architectural title or licensing because they have no need to. 

You also assume the Swedish Association of Architects is compulsory. SAA is like the AIA or AIBD. You are not required to join. 

Anyone can practice architect if they choose to. However, you need to meet the building codes. For me to practice in Sweden, it's just some VAT registration and some associated paperwork. Then I'm exporting architectural services to that country as an imported service. For me to do site visits, its either a longer term visa or Schengen visa agreement if I am physically present in Sweden or any of the other countries for less than 90 days in a 180 day period.

If I don't need to physically go to the country, I wouldn't even have to worry about the visa/schengen visa. 

I've looked at multiples source.

Here are a number of sources aside from the one above:

http://www.acsa-arch.org/resources/data-resources/how-long

http://apaw.uia-architectes.org/ang/compartida/webuia/apaw/inc/apaw-about2.php ( you can select the countries for yourself )

http://www.saco.se/en/omstart/swedish-educational-system/choose-your-education/architecture/

http://ec.europa.eu/DocsRoom/documents/12761/attachments/1/translations/en/renditions/native

I've also dug into the laws of Sweden and other countries but with all these sources, I think its pretty damn clear. I think you are confusing things about what titles are reserved/protects and which ones are not. architect titles containing SAR/MSA and like titles are reserved but guess what, I don't have to comply with SAA membership to practice architecture in Sweden if I don't undergo their membership.

I'll agree that the vast majority of architects in Sweden has an architecture degree. It doesn't mean you absolutely have to have a degree in architecture in order to practice. The reserved titled are trademarked titles of an association much like the CPBD credential of AIBD/NCBDC which I or even you can use INTERNATIONALLY where your state license is not permitted to be used for projects outside the state. 

By extension of international trademark laws, registered U.S. trademarks are recognized legally internationally with most countries in the world and especially most of Europe with countries that have long been friendly nations to us even during the Cold War.

Since building designer and architect are essentially synonyms in that country and a building designer / residential designer would be essentially residential architects or architects specializing in residential projects, because they don't regulate the title. Under AIBD/NCBDC rules, a CPBD can be anyone from licensed/registered architects in the U.S., non-U.S. architects legally practicing architecture in another country, which are building designers and other building designers which may also be architects practicing in other countries where there isn't a title or practice regulation to practice architecture or use the architect title. 

While AIBD/NCBDC has been largely U.S. focused, it isn't entirely limited to the U.S.

Unless the profession itself has explicit laws in Sweden (for example) that you can actually cite word for word, that regulates who can practice architecture and who can use the architect title, then the profession is not regulated. A person needs to know what they are doing in regards to the services they are offering.

Josh and a few others will make their noise and snipe remarks but the fact of the matter is they don't know me, what I have studied in architecture didactically or autodidactically. They don't know because they do not know me. 

At the end of the day, you either do the work competently or get sued. 

Jul 10, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

Josh,

Just a U.S. passport if probably sufficient and there is probably no reason I need to be in Sweden for 180 days of the year. So a simple U.S. Passport and the Schengen agreement isn't that big of a deal. 

First off, a client would be paying travel expenses as it would be billed accordingly. In addition, there's no reason to be low balling fees to ridiculous low levels. 

Jul 10, 16 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Stop. Doing. Drugs.
Jul 10, 16 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

TL, DR. I already explained that I have better things to do than argue with someone on the internet who realistically should be seeking help for his mental health wellbeing.

Right now, I'm an asshole and more or less an Arkitekt / Arkkitehti in a few countries

You are not an architect in Scandinavia. End of story. No_form, any update on those inspections in Astoria? G'night everybody!

Jul 10, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
"You're not really truly architect until you practice it."
--RWCB, PBD

Call yourself what you'd like, but by your own acknowledgment you're not an architect ... not in Scandinavia, nor Oregon, nor anywhere else.
Jul 10, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Bench,

I'm not physically living in Sweden but as for offering services outside the U.S. doesn't require living in or having an office in another country. Sheesh.... 

Bench, you don't know what you are talking about. Period. 

For the architect title to be legally reserved (ie. protected), you need a statutory law restricting the use of the title AND you need an legal enforcer. 

SHOW me and prove your point OR SHUT UP. 

Jul 10, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

of course this thread consists of balkins screaming about licensure laws in Sweden. 

Jul 10, 16 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

I've designed renovations, remodels, additions, etc. That's architecture. BUILDING DESIGN IS ARCHITECTURE!

Where the hell is your brain, in your asshole?

Jul 10, 16 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Richard I've lived and worked in Sweden.  The issues you're going to run into aren't what you can call yourself - they are:

1. It's a highly regulated society, and all control is in the hands of local officials.  You can't do squat without a permit -  and you can't get a permit without a professional title, which you can't get without a degree and the stamp of approval of a professional organization.  The use of the word "architect" as a title isn't regulated - but it also basically doesn't mean anything in terms of professional standing.  It's like calling yourself "designer" or "drafter" here.  

2. You can't spit in Sweden without hitting a designer. There's no shortage of professional architects, designers, and drafters. I can't see any conceivable reason that somebody in Sweden would pay travel expenses to import an American drafter with no portfolio of built work or even of CAD or drafting examples, and no relevant experience. You've got nothing going for you to make you an affordable, competitive, appealing, or sensible choice.

Jul 10, 16 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

"I've designed renovations, remodels, additions, etc. That's architecture. BUILDING DESIGN IS ARCHITECTURE!"

Im genuinely curious if this qualifies as falsely marketing oneself as an architect? But yeah, refer to Threesleeve's point #1. G'night (again) !

Jul 10, 16 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
It definitely fits as falsely portraying oneself as an architect.

You don't practice architecture Balkins. Show me something you've done that actually meets building codes.
Jul 10, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

If that was my house and you bitching bitches was in it I would kick you the fuck out!

Now kiss and make up.

Jul 10, 16 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

donna, i thought it looked like a topknot.  sort of a hipster house

you could paint one of the teeth gold.  that would add some class.

Jul 10, 16 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Rick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spo1jK4CCEU

Jul 10, 16 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
I think a small pediment would do numbers. Baby needs a new nose.
Jul 10, 16 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

Jul 10, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

At total dismay at the ass hats here................ 

Jul 10, 16 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Ok. Bye.

Windows need head trim painted brown. #makeafaceandslapit
Jul 10, 16 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

funny how Ballskid derails the OP, and then gets flummoxed by people dissing him...

Jul 10, 16 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
alejoz23

looks bad

Jul 11, 16 12:07 am  · 
 · 

of course this thread consists of balkins screaming about licensure laws in Sweden. 

This made me LOL so hard.

Jul 11, 16 1:54 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Rick you bloody tool, you need to be registered in another country or done their exams to be able to call yourself or work in a lot of countries. It IS a protected title outside the US as well, better course there are ways around it. You spanner.

Jul 11, 16 2:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: