Archinect
anchor

Laid off, possibly returning, but seeking other employment

Catcow

Help! I've been let go after being on contract , and there remains the opportunity to come back with the firm in another capacity soon, I do want to keep my options open and look elsewhere. However, the issue in doing that is that prospective employers and/or recruiters seek references, and in this case, including from the job I was let go from. This was more due to a slow-down in work, and they did so reluctantly.  Do I wait, subject to unemployment benefits, and keep contact so that they bring me back in once it is time to do so, or try to look elsewhere, but risk burning a strong but shaky bridge?

Jul 6, 16 10:34 pm
bowling_ball

They laid you off. Wtf are you hesitating? Also, if you were actually on contract, you likely don't get unemployment benefits. Better start making phone calls!

Jul 7, 16 12:15 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Show some integrity and respect for your skills go find work. The good trades / designers/ contractors are always busy, good times or bad. If they want you back they know where to find you..... at your next place of employment.

Jul 7, 16 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Why would you burn a bridge if you seek work? Are you suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome? If they laid you off in today's generally good employment environment you think they will not hesitate to do it again in the future?

Jul 7, 16 8:46 am  · 
 · 

Until your 'opportunity' is actually a reality, it is just an opportunity. I know that's circular, but the reality is that the opportunity will most always be the opportunity. If your client was wanting you to come back to the firm in another capacity, they would have made you that offer when they told you they didn't need you anymore in your current capacity. 

I know what you're thinking ... the timing wasn't right ... they didn't get that last project and there is one that they are sure to get soon ... etc. Find another job, if the opportunity becomes real and they want you back they can make you an offer. 

Jul 7, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 
zonker

I worked 14 temp gigs in 5 years and never got called back

Jul 7, 16 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
x intern
I think that speaks for itself
Jul 7, 16 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

If you are in the USA and you were working as an independent contractor, you will not get state unemployment benefits.

Unless you are willing to live off of your savings and wait around for your last firm to re-hire you, you should move forward with getting another job.

Jul 7, 16 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

typically - temp to hire is about 18% 

Jul 7, 16 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

All of the above is good advice.

Jul 10, 16 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: