Archinect
anchor

Business Licenses

IMPie

Hi Forum

Found this site in the random google way and now have a great new distraction! But I still looking for some information...

I work in a small town in California and get clients in many of the surrounding small towns. I have a business license in the town I work in. Lately, I've been getting asked to get additional business licenses for each town after the planning or permit application is filed.

This is normal of course for the general contractor who is doing the actual work on the structure, but we do 99% of our work off site in the office. Is this a new cash grab from municipalities or have I been getting away with not paying license fees all these years? Business license fees are not so inconsequential anymore either. What's you experience? Thanks

Jul 5, 16 11:36 pm

Yes, this is not all too uncommon when you do BUSINESS in the town. It's basically a business tax. You do business whether or not brick & mortar shop or not. 

This small fee should ALWAYS be part of calculating your pricing. It's part of the price of doing business legally. It all depends on the cities. Sometimes, a city may not tax a transient business which is essentially what you are. Some do and it is all part of the enforcement extent that they collect fees as means of covering the operations of cities. 

This is because there is a huge nexus of transient business operations that cities cash in on.

Welcome to the American Empire.... the new British Empire with new contrived ways to tax.

Just throw a couple hundred dollars on top of your fees and you should almost always be able to pay the little tax.

Jul 6, 16 12:00 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Sounds like more government bullshit to me... of course... it's your own fault for living in California :)

Jul 6, 16 12:11 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

sometimes building departments have a business license station in the same area and you have to pay for that before they will even let you submit for plan check - just another way to gouge you for fees.  State boards, firm registration, continuing ed, business licenses, AIA/LEED (should you choose to partake), insurance - all ways for you pay out the nose as a struggling professional.

Jul 6, 16 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
IMPie

Thanks for the responses but Score one for Don Quixote.

They rescinded it after I had a small chat with them. Because I fronted the money for the application I technically did make a transaction within the Town. From now on, either client pays directly or I have to get a license. Fortunately I found a Human Being in the system this time. As the plan check fees are fast approaching the plan creation fees these days, I think they are getting plenty already.

As for California, the bureaucracy is becoming unsustainable. That's another story but the weather is great.

Jul 6, 16 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: