Archinect
anchor

Architecture + Artificial Intelligence

nanokiwi

Hi! We're a group of architect and computer science researchers from Georgia Tech and we are trying to learn more about an architect's cognitive process as they start to design a house. We were wondering if you could take a few minutes to fill out the form below -- we would greatly appreciate your insight!

And thanks!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10JxL_aKoDoAHYBpxYJrWJkEp93l_fMjy-YbQrD4hrGk/viewform?c=0&w=1

Jul 5, 16 1:50 pm
chatter of clouds

Is this so you can come up with a robo-architect to have us replaced?

Jul 5, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

What type of architect?

Jul 5, 16 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

^edit

Hi! We're a group of architect and computer science researchers

Jul 5, 16 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

all your questions come from a wrong premise, designing a house doesn't start with filling out a form, like you could expect from a realtor. A house - or a home - is not an addition of rooms. 

Jul 5, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
gual

I think that for research purposes it's fine to think of a house as a room-adjacency problem, but the questions you're asking seem a bit off. Assuming budget isn't a problem, room adjacencies are driven by what the client wants, site restrictions, etc. If the client is a family with a live-in grandmother vs. a rich couple who never want kids you are going to prioritize different things and start "sketching" from different places.

I think you'd benefit from more specifically-framed questions.

Jul 5, 16 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

They are probably going for a generic, one-size-fits-all mass market approach that the users/homeowners will adapt their lives to. Not everyone can afford a bespoke, architect-designed house.

One might well argue that such a data-driven approach is anathema to proper design ... but if automation and factory production is the future of the ACE industry, then mass produced housing (Heck, Singapore's housing is mostly modularized units already) 'designed' by software may well be the way to go.

Jul 5, 16 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

this is where your research is headed...

creepy AI design

Jul 5, 16 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

It may be better/faster to just input thousands of cookie cutter house plans and examine the adjacencies.

My biggest issue is the focus on specific rooms. This would be better framed as public vs. private spaces. It doesn't really matter if a kitchen is next to a foyer or great room since they are all public spaces. But a bedroom would never open in a kitchen (even though my last apartment in Somerville did exactly that).

Jul 6, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: