Archinect
anchor

Architecture transfer to Cornell AAP

archique

Hi everyone,

I am currently a rising junior in an undergraduate B.Arch 5 year program. Cornell has been my dream school, but I got rejected to its undergrad program in my high school senior year. I am currently considering to transfer to its architecture program next year. I know Cornell AAP (one of the best architecture schools in the world) is incredibly competitive, considering that its an ivy, however, I still want to give it a try, even though I know the chances are low.  What would be recommended for me to do to stand out from my competitors? Since I am not familiar with the transfer application process, what should I do/work on especially, to make a stronger application? Is portfolio more important than GPA? For those who are familiar with Cornell's AAP program, how is it like? (the faculty, environment, students..etc.)

Thank you very much, and would be really grateful if any person could help!

Jul 5, 16 12:15 am
Dangermouse

1)  try, even if you think your chances are low.  you just might get in!  that's what happened to me.

2)  your portfolio and letters of recommendation are the most important aspects of your application, followed by GPA.  obviously, if you have a 2.8 at state school X your chances are low, but anything above a 3.3-3.5 won't ding your application.   

3)  get involved with a professor on side academic research projects.  petition to register for some graduate classes as a junior or senior.  you need to demonstrate a desire and willingness  to work beyond  core academic studios while still working at a high level.  assisting a professor with their research is a good place to start.  also, see if your school funds undergraduate research, or if they have undergraduate grants for independent projects.  find the opportunities you already have and maximize them.

4)  nail your portfolio.  find your style, find the artists/graphic designers/practitioners who created your style.  mimic them.   see if they published any books about their process.  read those books.  make your portfolio a coherent graphic statement of your identity as a designer.  go to issuu.com, search for cornell AAP portfolios, and see what successful applicants have done.

5)  fill in gaps on your projects.  i spent a month, 4-8 hours a day, doing fill in work for past projects.  write retroactive manifestos--everyone does it.  wish you had a diagram for that second year final?  make it.   stay consistent with the project (for example, i had second year projects done with ink on velum, my fill in work was also done with ink on vellum).  but fill in gaps.  

6) recommendations.  get good ones.  the professors with whom you've been doing research for your junior and senior years?  have them write your recommendations.  if you have work experience, ask your managing associate or principle.  get a mix.  i had two academic and one professional.  you could have two professional and one academic.  whatever works for you.

Jul 5, 16 11:44 am  · 
 · 
TheGreatEscape

@archique how did your transfer to Cornell go?

Dec 10, 16 1:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: