Archinect
anchor

Internship Gift?

I have been on an internship for 8 months, as it winds down I was thinking of getting the 3 principals each a gift (office of 15 people).  I have seen other posts on here that refer to this gesture as "brown nosing".  I do hope to be hired after my 5th year of school is over, but the gift is more a gesture of appreciation for the opportunity and a thank you for everything that I have learned.  

Is this appropriate?

If not, what is a good gift other than a sweet pen?

Thanks.

Jul 4, 16 1:10 am
A.I.

I think a well written non-generic 'thank you' email or letter would be more appropriate.

Jul 4, 16 4:06 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

interning for 8 months? bloody hell, most I've seen were 6 months.

Jul 4, 16 4:24 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

They should be getting you a gift...A nice lunch, gift card, etc. Second on the thank you note, that's all you should do. 

Jul 4, 16 4:41 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Nice scotch.

Jul 4, 16 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

It is not appropriate business etiquette for you to give gifts to them upon your departure.  A hand-written note of thank you to each would be a nice gesture.

Gifts to employers or supervisors aren't appropriate in most situations.  An exception is if there is a tradition of holiday gift exchange in the firm.  Another is that it's always appropriate to bring a gift if you're invited to their home for a meal.  Otherwise it's best to stick with written expressions and skip the gifts.

Jul 4, 16 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

A nice hand written letter would go a long way and be appreciated more than any gift item you can afford.

Jul 4, 16 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
Just a nice letter is all you need. Anything else is too much.

Alcohol is usually always welcome though. I'd love it if an intern got me gin.
Jul 4, 16 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
For complex - or maybe simple - ethical and etiquette reasons you're not supposed to buy gifts for your boss(es). They pay you; spending that money on something that goes back to them is weird. A card with a thank you note saying you've had a valuable experience will be far better than any gift. Even booze.
Jul 5, 16 7:51 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

For complex - or maybe simple - ethical and etiquette reasons you're not supposed to buy gifts for your boss(es). 

Unless maybe it's a holiday or something gift from the office as a whole, and not tied to a particular individual?

Jul 5, 16 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Yes, exactly, geezer - as 5839 said above my post. When it's a group gift/gift exchange/hostess gift it's appropriate.

A former boss of mine had treatment for cancer. The employees pooled money and bought this boss a special relaxation gift as a celebration of the treatment being done and successful. That's appropriate. If ONE of us had done that, it wouldn't be; even though it would be heartfelt, it would be awkward for the boss.

Jul 5, 16 9:26 am  · 
 · 
We usually give interns a gift when they leave. Also buy them lunch.

Sometimes we get gifts as well. Food usually, or once a set of plastic wine glasses that we have used quite a bit since.

I wouldn't overthink it. If the office is small and informal then why not? Cake for everyone is always a good one.
Jul 6, 16 6:11 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

A nice, hand written note, and a good microbrew.  

Jul 6, 16 9:22 am  · 
 · 
ERO33

Thank you everyone! Much appreciated.

Jul 19, 16 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: