Archinect
anchor

Part 1 from England, Continuing Studies in US

justinehornquist

Hi all!

I am going into my third and final year of the BA (Hons) Architecture degree at a university in England. I’m a Swedish citizen with a Green Card, and I plan to return to the US indefinitely after graduation.

As an English architecture student, I will have my “Part 1 accreditation” from the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects), but nothing more. From what I understand, there is no mutual recognition of qualifications between the US and UK. In the UK, I would start work in an architectural firm immediately after graduation.

What I want to find out is whether it is possible as a student with only a three-year education, to take part in the American Internal Development Programme? Or if the usual course of action for a UK student with Part 1 accreditation is to complete two additional years of undergraduate studies at an American university? And does this mean I have to pay the $1,500 to have my degree evaluated by NAAB (National Architectural Accrediting Board)?

Alternatively, would applying to a master’s program straight away be an option?

Sorry for all the questions! From what I can tell, there is not much information out there about the UK to US transition.

If anyone has experience with this, or knows someone I could direct these questions to, please share.

Thank you so much. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Jul 2, 16 5:46 pm
BulgarBlogger

Whats up with people half assing their education- breaking it up here and there like cookies. Stick with getting your license and education in one country for god's sake...

Jul 2, 16 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

its called life bulgar....calm down......op its hard to advise as things often change. you at least will not need your transcripts translated

Jul 2, 16 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Since it is only 3 years, you'll probably need to get your Masters here at some point, but you can enroll in AXP (IDP's new name) now once you send your transcripts to them.

It's been a bit for me and with the changes I'd consult NCARBs website.
Jul 2, 16 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
mszczere
You can start your IDP record as soon as you want, though I am pretty sure you can only start logging hours if you are working under an architect in the US. With your part 1 degree, I believe you would need to apply for M.Arch II studies, though it might be possible to apply for M.Arch I. You don't need to have completed your masters studies to start your IDP record.
Jul 2, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: