Archinect
anchor

The new aia.org - Reactions?

Just noticed this evening... Like the new look. Anyone else? And I mean what, no press release?

Jun 30, 16 11:38 pm

Also, 

"As a site built specifically for our members, the new aia.org is shaped around the interests of AIA’s 88,000 members and speaks, in its design and function, about the purpose of a 21st century member organization. All of the career and profession coverage or firm management intelligence you need is front and center—along with special coverage of topics like energy and resilience."

Jul 1, 16 12:26 am  · 
 · 

Interesting. I'll say that but they have some work to do.

I'm wondering if it was my $167 or so, hard at work. LOL!

Jul 1, 16 2:19 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

who? what is this AIA?

Jul 1, 16 8:14 am  · 
 · 

My stomach just churned thinking that somehow I'm a member of the same organization as Balkins.

Although Rick, you shouldn't be. You don't meet any of the criteria for Associate AIA unless you are active in AXP, but when was the last time you recorded hours? 

Jul 1, 16 10:49 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Groucho Marx said it best - "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member!"

I didn't renew my Associate AIA membership this last year because nothing looks more pathetic than putting Assoc. AIA after your name.

Now that I am getting licensed though, I still don't think I'm going to do it. I still get all the AIA e-mails and go to all the events, I am licensed in the state I practice in, and am a member of other more relevant professional organizations. I work at a corporate firm that has all their own documents and forms, lawyers, and resources. I just don't know what they offer.

The new design looks good, though!

Jul 1, 16 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I'm rollin' with my homie, FLW...

Jul 1, 16 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Jamb'd

I don't know... something about that red and grey banner at the top... it makes me feel like I'm at some government website.  Maybe the DMV or something.

I applaud the effort, but it could be much better.

Jul 1, 16 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

archanonymous, what are the more relevant professional organizations in your opinion?

I think the full-bleed website looks better than the old one with its gray side 'margins'. More current anyways. My bigger beef w/ AIA branding is the chicken on the stick logo. Can we do something about that?

Jul 1, 16 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

andrew - basically any local organization that deals with real estate and development, building, codes, etc... Most cities have a few... big cities have a bunch.

You don't get them fancy letters to put after your name, but you do get good connections, exposure, and insight into the business.

Jul 1, 16 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Archanonymous makes a good point, but being an AIA member I can say that what you get out of it is what you put into it. Right now I'm on a Knowledge Community committee with AIA Chicago which has been a great experience, and I did the Bridge leadership/mentorship program a couple years back that paired me with a "Fun" local FAIA (everyone in Chicago will know who I'm talking about). Plus the ARE prep classes (which are now Black Spectacles) helped immensely.

Chicken on a stick sounds good. I'll put that on the menu this weekend. 

Jul 1, 16 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

AIA = Kumbaya club. (j/k)

Jul 1, 16 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

The Chicken on a stick (LOL)

It's actually the logo since way early. It is a heraldic eagle fanning it's wings in front of a Doric column. 

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=3DsAaW2vn5sC&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=AIA+logo+eagle+in+front+of+column&source=bl&ots=MK9JKfEFe0&sig=El3Qle3A8yZ_BiUhDlvd36_zu5M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbpeXc-tLNAhVX32MKHSeHDd8Q6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=AIA%20logo%20eagle%20in%20front%20of%20column&f=false

The eagle is a symbol of America (United States). This is the AMERICAN Institute of Architects, the eagle was used as it's symbol is deeply integrated in Americal symbology including official seal of the Unites States of America.

The Doric column is a symbol of the built environment / classic architecture (Greek Revival) that was in vogue during the 1850s. The word 'Architect' has Greek / Roman origins. Roman as for the spelling derived from Latin which in turn was derived from Greek era.

Jul 1, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Jul 1, 16 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Josh, enjoy AIA'ing with Rick!

I mean that in the best possible way.

Jul 1, 16 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

archanonymous - yeah, that makes sense. If someone was trying to do business development at AIA meetings they are doing it wrong. I can see how getting into a group full of people with actual money to spend would be a good call.

I agree with Josh Mings too, there are a lot of advantages to being in the AIA. Beyond personal and professional developement, we have hired (or stolen depending on your perspective) multiple good employees from other firms after seeing them at AIA events or watching them handle AIA responsibilities. It can be a good measure of an architect's organizational and management abilities. You definitely get out what you put in.

Yeah, you know, I figured that was an eagle in front of a column, but wasn't sure until I got the historical background. Goddamn Rick.

Jul 1, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

i agree with both of you to some extent. Realistically if my job pays for it, i'll probably join up again. Just like if they pay for LEED i'll do that even though i think it is worse than worthless.

Jul 1, 16 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I think that it's a WHOLE lot better than the previous website.  It kind of feels like a template that they squeezed things into... the black box logo at the top seems awkward,  the grey nav feels like it needs to be white.  I really like the AIA's mark and so I'd personally like it to play a bigger part in the branding and there is nothing proclaiming "The American Institute of Architects" aside from the img in the footer.   I'm not a part of the AIA anymore but I see the potential value that they could provide to architects. 

Jul 1, 16 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

I barely used the old website, probably won't use this one much either. I don't mind it. I do like that the edges/extents of the gray nav bar line up with the edges/extents of the grid of tiles below as you scroll. I don't like that the lines between options on the nav bar don't quite align with the grid of tiles below as you scroll ... or that where you have a tile with a photo and text side by side, the break between the photo and text doesn't quite align with the lines between the nav bar options. 

For example, near the bottom where they show the "Featured Member" the photo of Allyn Stellmacher, AIA doesn't align with the edge of the "Career" option in the nav bar on the right edge of the option and the photo. Also, see the "About Us" tile here.

Jul 1, 16 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: