Archinect
anchor

Architecture or Computer Science/or some kind of Engineering major

ghosos

Hello, I'm college student who have recently finished my first year, and I'm in a desperate need of some advice.

I originally considered majoring in chemical engineering, only to learn that I absolutely hate the engineering field, except for computer science which I'm still mildly interested in. For some reason I followed course sequence like regular CS student and currently have no problem declaring major as CS as soon as I enter my second year. However, at the last moment during the spring, I realized that I seriously want to study architecture, told my parents and even my friends about this and within days I submitted internal transfer application. (I may not be the best, but I love drawing, and luckily already had a supplement art portfolio ready for the transfer application).

Currently, I am conditionally accepted into the design course which is only open to B.Arch students - meaning, I'm not accepted and need to reapply next semester if I still want to major in architecture after coming fall semester, and the school will decide based on my performance during the course. I really want to major in and study architecture in the end, but there are some doubtful issues that my family and I have.

1. I'm an international student. - unless I continue on with M.Arch and find a job fast after graduation, I might not be able to stay in the US. (If I stay in the college of Engineering, I heard would be able to stay in the US for at least 17 months just because it's STEM, which would give me time to gain experience and, hopefully, not starve) Also, architecture is apparently not so much a highly respected field in my home country (Korea), according to people working in Korean architecture firms.

2. I have to spend 6 years to graduate, since I already finished a year in college. My school (Cornell) is defnitely not the cheapest college, and my parents are telling me that they will only support me until I finish my undergrad. I won't be in debt, but I'm using up basically 70% of my family's income. If I want to get M.Arch, I would have to look for financial aid /  some scholarship (if there is one) or beg for mercy.

3. I might be dreaming some kind of a fantasy about studying architecture - I read The Fountainhead, and this was my first encounter with architecture. I'm currently working as an close-to-unpaid intern in Hyundai Architects & Engineers just because I wanted to know what it's like to work in the field, and I'm finding this large-corporate-firm a little bit disappointing.

I am definitely not the top (B/B+ average) in CS, so I'm not completely confident in CS. But I do love art, really want to design, and don't really mind staying up nights drawing (It's far better than programming overnight to fix bugs). Most recently I was thinking of working my best into B.Arch with some CS/Game Design minor, and getting M.Arch in another college. I was also considering a B.S. in CS while minoring in Architecture and M.Arch 1 in Cornell. If I happen to major in CS, I want to focus in Graphics and take some game design course.

I would welcome any kind of advice. Thank you for reading all of this essay...

Jun 30, 16 11:49 am
senjohnblutarsky

Architecture isn't a great paying field.  So, I would take that out of the equation.  Future money, and current money... just ignore it.  

You have to know you want to go into architecture.  Getting the firm exposure you are is probably a good thing.  Most of us don't do it because we get paid well.  We do it because it's what we want to do. 

Decide what you want to do/what makes you happy, and just accept the cost that comes with it.  

Jun 30, 16 11:55 am  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

Surprisingly, Architecture has a lot of coding depending on the offices you work at. Grasshopper is an example, in order to create complex shapes/optimization, you need to write scripts.

Anyways, you gotta know 100% you want architecture. People on this forum can't make the decisions for you. If you aren't 100% focused on the profession, you won't have the interest to make creative works, and will probably just end up at a boring/job/corporate office which you do not want to be working in.

Jun 30, 16 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

i agree with most of what people are saying. No one can make that decision for you and this form is probably the worst and best place to ask for advice. The worst because people are negative about the profession and the best because no one here is lying about the profession. 

If you go ask your school counselors or older people in your office that you will intern at they will say stupid stuff like how passionate they are about the field and how rewarding the field is. They don't mind working long hours as long as its something they love type of mentality. 

When you ask us you will hear a mix, but mostly people telling you to stay away. The business of architecture is a terrible one. Working long hours doesnt mean staying up and being creative to solve new problems. it means staying awake and going into a zombie like mode to repeat repetitive tasks and looking up building codes and redoing all your work. You will work long hours almost all year round and you will not be compensated for it.

(at this point i would like to pause and talk about the new overtime salary rule. This sounds promising but if anyone knows anything about business they will tell you its bad because this doesnt fix any problems and is only going to create lower salaries, lower bonuses and promotions, worse benefits and less paid time off. Money doesnt just appear out of no where because you clocked your hours. companies are going to need to re budget their finances.)

So you might think that you can work long hours and thats find because its what you love. you will find out that you are not doing anything that you love in architecture and never drawing or creating but rather reading building codes and making shitty buildings for business men. 

but best of luck. Hopefully your un-paid internship will help you decide. 

Jul 1, 16 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

My advice is to go for software engineering, then go do your masters in architecture if you still want to get in this field.  Grads schools don't take so long a commitment like undergrad.  If you don't like architecture after, you have something to fall back on, something that pays very very well.

Jul 2, 16 1:10 am  · 
 · 
ghosos

Thanks everyone for your advice. 

I'm actually also looking out the option of studying MBA after the B.Arch. I'll just try to find my best way to eventually design what I want and still get compensated (just like most people in the profession).

Jul 2, 16 6:10 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

'design what I want and get compensated like most people in the profession'

Gluck!

xDDD

Jul 2, 16 7:37 am  · 
 · 
ghosos

Oh sorry if I sounded like that. I meant that I'm assuming many people would love to design while still getting paid. 

Jul 2, 16 7:58 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I would stay in CS or engineering a least for undergrad, a engineering or CS degree from Cornell will set you up well to earn a good living. Then if you want to still do architecture do a 3 year masters.

Jul 2, 16 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: