Archinect
anchor

Job Search when moving

turduckhen2016

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are moving for his job.  I have a masters in architecture and have about 7 years of experience (just beginning the licensing process).  How early should I start looking for jobs?  If there are no openings posted in the city we are moving to, what do you recommend is the best way to go about the job search?  Someone told me I should not be applying to jobs until a month before or even less....

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jun 29, 16 2:53 pm
x intern
How long until you move and how important is it you have a job when you get there? If it's a small market I would start and if offered and you need to go out early deal with it
Jun 29, 16 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Get active in the area AIA chapter and network like crazy.  Maybe use the break between jobs to get your license faster.  

Jun 29, 16 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

Send out applications as soon as you arrive.  By the time you receive calls, you already have an idea on the best strategy to move forward.

Jun 29, 16 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

I would go out there on a Thursday but not a Friday or Monday and meet people, talk to them ask for advice but not a job. Learn about the community of architects and get a feel for what you want to do.  I would map out the firms in the city you are moving to and prioritize the ones you want to work for if by reputation and then by location. Then before your Thursday visit schedule appointments use the weeks leading up to your visit and try to get 3-5 interviews and a networking event in at the end of the day, this is what I did when I was looking for a job remotely in Chicago while I was living on the other side of the lake. As soon as I was into my third visit I had offers and interviews lined up. Face to face contact is much more likely to result in an invitation to apply for a job or suggestions on where to look. But never beg or ask for a job just get information and look smart while doing it.

If you land a job that has to start a few weeks before your family makes the move I would go for it, get and AIR B and B or find a modest apartment, don't let your career stall any longer than necessary

Over and OUT

Peter N

Jun 29, 16 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: