Archinect
anchor

Parametric Design

imtiazmahmoodranchi

Hi, I need some suggestions. Which software is best for parametric drawings? I used 3ds max for a very long time. Now I use revit for my presentation sheets as it consumes less time to product graphical drawings, I can skip autocad when I use revit. But I find it complicated to create parametric model in revit. I came to know that revit has an extension 'dynamo visual programming' that may help in my work. I thought about learning rhino. As I'm no expert, I can't decide which software would be most productive.
Please don't suggest sketchup. I find it extremely limited.

Jun 28, 16 3:00 pm
archanonymous

there are so many threads on this already. 

Your options are basically Dynamo for Revit or Grasshopper for Rhino.

Jun 28, 16 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Or, if you're nostalgic, generative components.

I don't think you know what parametric means. Revit is, essentially by its definition, a parametric modeling software. What are you trying to do?

Jun 28, 16 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Hell, Gaudi's curves are parametric and he didn't have software.

Listen to the two above me, they know their stuff. I never got into it. 

Jun 28, 16 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I second ivorykeyboard. When you say "parametric drawing", what are you actually talking about?

Jun 28, 16 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Further, I've found Dynamo to be relatively limiting in comparison to Grasshopper - in a strictly geometrical / modelling sense. On our parametric implementation team, currently I think general attitude is to primarily use Grasshopper for actual modelling workflows, then combine via Revit into our actual construction models for BIM/scheduling.

Jun 29, 16 4:36 am  · 
 · 
imtiazmahmoodranchi

Sorry archanonymous if i posted something repetitive.

ivorykeyboard, maybe i failed to express, instead of 'parameters', and Gaudi's analogue method of 'input parameters', equation, output', i focused on complex geometries here. And i shortened the terms, I should've said working drawings generated from parametric model.

Bench, thank you!! I never tried rhino so i didn't know. I wanted to be sure if it's worth it. 

... Pardon me if i said something stupid. I'm only in second year in undergraduate course. But i've been working with 3d modeling and animation since high school as a hobby.

Jun 29, 16 5:31 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It depends what you're trying to do and where you're based. I'd tend to go towards Revit though for job prospect and documentation.

Jun 29, 16 5:37 am  · 
 · 
Bench

That thould read - combine into Revit via Dynamo into our construction models for BIM/scheduling. Seems that Dynamo is mainly beneficial as an extension of getting more complex data from the information side. We still prefer to do pretty much all modelling in Rhino, until it needs to go out for tender/etc; that's when Revit takes over fully.

Jun 29, 16 9:27 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Revit and Dynamo for everything - concept > CA

Jun 29, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Xenakis - Have you ever worked with meshes into Revit? I'm struggling to find a suitable workflow that works.

Jul 4, 16 9:52 am  · 
 · 
zonker

archiwutm8

That I haven't - yet - but it does open up possibilities of working with both 3DMax and Maya meshes - 

this may help

http://dynamoprimer.com/05_Geometry-for-Computational-Design/5-7_meshes.html

see the process at the bottom of the page next to the bunny as to what dynamo functions to use

Jul 4, 16 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: