Archinect
anchor

Italian architecture firms

piero1910

I am wondering about some good names in Italian architecture now. I do not mean that they have to be names as Renzo Piano. What are some great italian architecture firms currently at work? Because I do not hear too much about them. As you do about Portuguese, Spanish or British firms. I just do not tend to see too many projects on architecture websites by italian firms anymore. 

Jun 28, 16 1:28 am
piero1910

Of course, I know Fuksas but it is not the kind of architecture firms that I am looking for. I would say that his architecture is crazy sometimes. I am looking for a more type of minimalistic architecture or more regional. I can mention you a lot of portuguese architects that design the type of architecture that I am saying. Undoubtedly, it is very related to their and not to Italy. Or the same situation with some Spanish architects. 

Jun 30, 16 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

Don't Italian architects mostly just write, teach, and design furniture? While Italy is a wonderful country there are downsides for architects living in a country with a lackluster  economy and preserved historical buildings that satisfy most of the building needs. 

Jun 30, 16 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Large sections of the USA are heading in this direction....

Aug 28, 18 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

Haruki,

I think that you are misunderstanding. Of course, they are famous at that as they are famous at that, but just because they have some famous names on those those fields. In terms of furniture, they have very high brands but not all the best designers are italians. Of course, there are downsides, but does not mean anything. Look at Portugal and Spain, they were affected even worse than Italy and they have more recognized architecture names. Also, you should know that Italy is third largest economy in the EU.

Jul 1, 16 2:22 am  · 
 · 
randomized

Well, in Italy almost everyone is an architect, I'm sure you can find more than Renzo Piano! They have the most architects per capita. Your waiter, taxi driver, shop clerk, police man, etc. they're all architects!

Maybe this list helps:

http://divisare.com/designers/europe/southern-europe/italy

Jul 3, 16 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

Piero1910, perhaps a better way to get across what I was trying to say is to use the old saying "you need to break some eggs to make an omelette." For Italian architects to be able to build more Italy would need to start tearing down more of their existing buildings instead of preserving and reusing them as they do so well. Also, while the Italian economy may be a large economy it is not a particularly dynamic economy. 

Jul 3, 16 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

Thanks for your answer randomized.

Haruki, I understand your point, but I disagree with your idea of tearing down to create great things. Italian architects (and a lot of europeans architects) have to learn how to design respecting context. I do not know if you are from a country that history is not as important, and they just demolish buildings to build new ones. I do not find that as the best solution in architecture if that is what you are thinking. Architects, specially in Europe, must know how to deal with existing parameters and limitations and create great designs. I have seen a lot of those cases where they have achieved it. 

Jul 4, 16 3:55 am  · 
 · 

Hi Piero, Well, I can say that I've been studying the masters and working in the field of architecture in Milan for almost two years, and unfortunately Haruki is right. You've maybe have a point, but even in Italy, most of the young architects are leaving to northern Europe, because the opportunities to built new architecture in Italy are few. And as everyone says to you... Italy could be a place to study, but for working is better to look some where else. Trust me on this one.

Aug 28, 18 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Baukuh

Dogma

Act Romegialli

Jul 4, 16 4:57 am  · 
 · 
xaviermonroy

Hi Piero,

Well, I can say that I've been studying the masters and working in the field of architecture in Milan for almost two years, and unfortunately Haruki is right. You've maybe have a point, but even in Italy, most of the young architects are leaving to northern Europe, because the opportunities to built new architecture in Italy are few. And as everyone says to you... Italy could be a place to study, but for working is better to look some where else. Trust me on this one.

Aug 28, 18 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
clotildebrambilla

Architectural consultants in Italy: Easy Home Italy

Dec 24, 19 5:57 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Renzo Piano Workshop

Dec 24, 19 8:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: