Archinect
anchor

Company looking for software / hardware combo as working tools for future Architect Employee

no_form

greg pereira, you've awakened architect's resident troll, RickB-OR also known as Richard WC Balkins, PBD.  

a fellow supporter of irrelevant and obsolete software and computing devices among other absurdities.  

this thread is officially over.

Jun 28, 16 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Why those tools though?

I do not agree with your logic that a touch stylus system like that is faster then zooming on a mouse wheel. Looking at a model from different scales is essential to accurate modeling. You can't just get rid of zooming. and if i have to use more then one finger to do that it's inefficient. 

More than anything I think what people are getting at is you need to take a second and understand what design is.  All the advanced tools in the world do not a designer make. As evidenced by your need to find someone to run these tools for you.

A good architect or designer is not bound by their tools, they are bound by their brain. You would be better off articulating your design problem and evaluating how well you think a candidate could solve said problem.  

Questions you should be asking that may help. 

1) Who is doing work similar to what we want to do? Very few of the most advanced architects work this way. In my experience they do so in conjunction with a larger team who then use the tools you refer to as primitive to carry out a design vision.

2) How are they doing it? where did they come from? What are they using? 

3) Go try to hire that person, or someone who worked with them, came from the same background, ect.  

Say you were to try and hire a plumber and you told them you have a state of the art CNC machine that they can use to open up the wall, and they are like dude you just need a drywall knife. You wouldn't think they were less capable would you? Why use a bazooka when a simple shank will do? Re evaluate your objective. focus on those. Don't micromanage the process like this and you will have much better luck in your search, all at a lower cost and higher efficiency. 

Jun 28, 16 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Why the f are you so attached to the Wacom, OP? It seems like you are more focused on the tool than the actual need. Sure, the Wacom could be used for graphic stuff after 3d modeling (which I do all the time), but dont you think the horse comes before the cart? just sayin.

Jun 28, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

The wacom tablet is just a tool. It can be used for 3d stuff as well as graphic stuff but that's another topic. It is just a tool. The important thing has been stated to earlier in this thread. In a sole-practitioner set up, you can choose whatever tool chain of choice. The tool is a minor expense in a successful business.  However, with employment staff, what is the office staff going to be familiar with and work efficiently with. Most are not taught to use the tablet in school because there isn't that many computers in most computer labs at the schools that has them. While most have dabbled with them, most do not work with them all the time.

I just don't think most people really is familiar or efficient with the tablet as they are are with a mouse because they don't have the familiarity and working experience with the tablet to be efficient with it. 

I don't care if Greg use it for himself but most of the employees are probably going to be familiar with the mouse and be satisfied with that.

Jun 28, 16 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Sounds like somebody's trying to wave away their buyer's remorse.

Jun 28, 16 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: