Archinect
anchor

Needed: Advice for someone with no Architecture background!

samanthaashley

I am a recent graduate from UMass Amherst with a BS in Biology. I was originally pre-med aimed but ultimately decided it was not what I was looking for. I have always loved art through school and drew in my free time or for classes and I loved when I got the opportunity to create a model for a class. I have always toyed with the idea of architecture but never gave it serious thought. Now that I am in an open position and ready to change directions, I'm looking into it much more and am finding myself truly compelled by the career and education. I have been looking at MArch programs. I am currently located in Colorado and am a first generation college student. I'm very interested in CU Denver because of how convenient the location is but I'm not opposed to going anywhere else in the country. I want to go to a good school that will put me in a good position for employment opportunities so I have been trying to avoid many low tier schools but I truly have no idea how competitive this program is. I don't know what my GRE scores should be aimed at, what an ideal GPA would be (or if it matters much since I don't have an architecture background), or if certain schools are looking for students from certain locations. Other schools I have on my radar are MIT, UTexas, and Cincinnati. Any advice at all is greatly appreciated! 

Jun 24, 16 10:05 pm
jrg4597
I am an under grad architecture student in Florida. Pending on school, there prerequisites such as design 1,2,3,4 most require one design course. Architectural history, theory of architecture and methods and materials to name a few courses. Pending on the program and university a 3.0 GPA seems to be the average along with a general GRE test. I haven't seen a score requirement for the GRE. All schools have some sort of entry such as "pinning up your best project " or a portfolio with your design from courses. Must have some knowledge of cad and photo shop to be competitive. I hope this helps.
Jun 24, 16 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

The University of Colorado architecture program has historically not had a very good reputation.  They almost lost their accreditation several years ago. As a group, the fresh CU grads I've been exposed to have not been impressive.  Lots of good practitioners I've known have gone to CU, but they seemed to be good in spite of their alma mater, not because of it.   I don't know what the current quality of the program is, but you should definitely check it out thoroughly before going there.

Jun 25, 16 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

I'm only posting a message to draw no_form to this thread and then he can reply to the original poster. From what I gather, no_form graduated from this college.

Now to put up a dumpster fire of planetary/intergalactic scale:

That said, make sure you have your towel and your most important book.... a copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Jun 25, 16 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

The program is quite good, it's not an ivy leauge but the design build program is amazing. However, it is more of a conservative program and not that theory or technology heavy. But it is also a good price if you are in state. If your smart and a good architect you will be a good architect, the schools does not that matter, but it is what you put into it. If your good you will get jobs and sit right next to all the graduates from the top programs, you need to just work harder to get it.

Jun 26, 16 10:43 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Samantha,

The program does not have a good reputation and my experiences with graduates have not been positive. As said above, there are exceptions to this, but they are few and far between - generally people that would have done well regardless.

There really aren't many good programs in the Intermountain West. 

Is there any way you could spend some time helping out at an architecture firm in an administrative or assistant role? Have you spoken to architects that you or friends of yours know?

Jun 26, 16 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Use the new website - http://studyarchitecture.com to research potential programs.  Given you will NOT be applying until Fall 2017, why not consider all graduate programs that have the Master of Architecture for those with an unrelated degree program like you.

I would start to contact programs directly asking what they look for in candidates.  Start to work on your portfolio.

Also, geezertect - a program not almost lose their accreditation; at worse, they receive a three year term.  Having worked for NAAB, I question your statement.

Jul 1, 16 6:51 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, Mr ex-NAAB, that website is probably one of the worst I have ever seen. Who, exactly, is behind it, and why are you hawking this profession to clueless liberal arts students who have been burned once already.

Jul 1, 16 7:03 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Does anybody ever monitor this site to get shit postings like the above from 'andrew87grant and 'Dr. Architecture' deleted?

Jul 21, 16 10:57 am  · 
 · 
proto

skiing's better in CO than TX, OH, or MA

and the tuition is likely cheaper

your effort and success, though, are yours to define

Jul 21, 16 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: