Archinect
anchor

Top Masters Program vs Affordable Masters Program

MBtect

I'm applying to M. Arch I programs, weighing the options. The idea of going to a top school and having so many doors open to me upon graduation is very attractive. It also seems like they would teach the theory and design courses better. However, I don't know if it's worth the cost.

If I go to a lesser known/affordable school, am I destined to be a CAD monkey and remain in a stagnant position for the rest of my life? Will I ever be able to do management or design work?

Jun 24, 16 10:42 am
no_form
Mail carriers have great benefits and job security. Also, fast food workers get a minimum wage of $15 an hour. But their jobs are becoming more automated so that's not promising.
Jun 24, 16 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There are plenty of grads from top schools who are cad monkeys, so... really, there is little difference. At least with the cheaper school you'll be able to afford good beer.

Jun 24, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Some of the best schools happen to be public universities with relatively affordable tuition, especially if you're applying as an in-state resident. For example, the University of Cincinnati (my alma mater) has a very strong program, and it's also one of the most affordable out there.

Also, some of the nominally expensive schools may offer scholarships and/or tuition waivers that make them competitive with the public universities. You won't know until you apply and get accepted.

My advice: Do more research, and be wary of knee-jerk assumptions... Especially those spouted by the internet peanut gallery. Apply to a variety of schools ranging from your local public university to your top-choice dream school. If you only get accepted to the former, them your choice will have been for you and this becomes a moot discussion.

Jun 24, 16 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
TED

do the top always. Simple.

Definitely worth the extra spondullies for that theory and design stuff.

Jun 24, 16 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Lrquitectura
When I made the decision to expand my knowledge at a different firm I was reminded of how hard it is to get an interview.
I'm truly sadden to know that some firms ignore talent just to do favors.

If you can afford attending a top architecture school by all means go for it. The prestige of the school will give you an advantage when you start your professional career.

On the other hand, I would suggest attending one that focuses on design and new technologies. This way you can have the opportunity to explore your design limits. The technical can be learned once you start working.

***just an opinion***
Jun 26, 16 1:30 am  · 
 · 
lacalr

Your student debt when you graduate from whichever program may be a factor in choosing your initial job. Thus the less amount of debt could possibly give you more freedom in firm selection, and you may actually be able to choose a smaller, more design driven firm, that offers less salary. 

In the end it all depends on how you respond to the program you decide to go to. 

Jun 27, 16 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UEwbRWFZVc - After going to grad school, I find this talk to be even more accurate

Jun 27, 16 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: