Archinect
anchor

urban planning

mj100

I am really sick of working in architecture. I have been sick of it for a while. I am considering changing to urban planning. It sounds more interesting than drawing toilet rooms every day. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Jun 23, 16 7:41 pm
citizen

Urban design is a an interesting and important sub-field that makes good use of architecture skills.   An urban planning degree is helpful for this, to introduce how things like politics and policy, economics, culture, social factors, etc, impact form, regulation, development, and vice-versa.  An urban design degree is obviously good too, since it focuses on form.

Absent another degree, you can try your luck applying for entry-level urban designer/ planner jobs and try to get some OJT (on the job training) with an employer.

Good luck!

Jun 23, 16 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

Thank you! I am actually a licensed architect and I hope that doesn't deter my potential employer from interviewing me.

Jun 24, 16 6:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: