Archinect
anchor

Why do architects cut trees all the time?

JLC-1

PPLP, I guess you are only ranting because of a personal matter, since you live close to those new rich; but I 'll tell you this, architects love to plant trees, and more likely than not , all of the forestry you see around new york is not original and/or natural at all but somebody planted it there for the enjoyment of a bigger new rich decades ago. I sincerely recommend you read a bit about the history of the landscape, note that I said "the" landscape, not as in landscape design, but in the evolution of the natural environment as it was and how it has become, there were even more evil architects in the beginning of the XXth century that wanted cities to be a sterile table full of modernities and nothing else, but all that changed with howard roark.

one last question, have you stated this inquiry to moshe safdie or jean nouvel? Habitat 67 is not an example of greenery and certainly not the dubai louvre, how did you trade your very rigid principles to work with such demoniacal destroyers?

Jun 27, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Donna - FYI I freaking love Chop Stick.

Jun 27, 16 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Mr Pepe Le Peu

JLC-1:

Thanks for your post. Very informative and makes a lot of sense.

"I guess you are only ranting because of a personal matter, since you live close to those new rich"

Yup. I admit it. This time is too close to comfort and it hurts to see the devastation that goes on here.

"one last question, have you stated this inquiry to moshe safdie or jean nouvel? Habitat 67 is not an example of greenery and certainly not the dubai louvre, how did you trade your very rigid principles to work with such demoniacal destroyers?"

I did not. An employee can't do that. I'm on my own now.

In any case, PLEASE independent architects: if you can choose, leave the tree alone. Thanks.

Jun 27, 16 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

An employee can't do that.

I'd contend that a good employee should do that.

Jun 27, 16 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Mr Pepe Le Peu

"I'd contend that a good employee should do that."

With the kind of employers that some of the top architects are, I'd suggest not doing that, or opening the mouth at all. Your time there will be much easier.

Jun 27, 16 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

If I wanted ease, I'd have never gone into architecture in the first place.

I've never worked in an office where I felt like airing my opinion would get me in trouble.

Jun 27, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

I'd never want to work in an office where I felt like I couldn't give my opinion. Who would? Even if I worked for any of the architects you've mentioned, I'd give my opinion.

Then again, I'm a very opinionated person and if you feel like you are going to get fired for speaking up you are in the wrong office.

Jun 27, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

if you want ease, use more lube.

Jun 27, 16 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

sometimes you have to cut trees. in my architect life i lost 1 tree in 35 years, it was the client's call and was based on maintaining her new roof. it was a cedar pine with a tall trunk and a lot of hair loss with no particular shade, most likely planted after a memorable christmas during the war, probably. but tree is a tree. it is gone. yes i inhaled... the lemon and orange trees and old cactus were saved. an invasive bamboo growth is gone too. i like the way it is now. children love it. anti pretty landscaping but works. btw, i am not done.., we are thinking about putting an amoeba shaped swimming pool in the front. a rare one in l.a. because we kept the building triple required set back from the front pl. in an urban residential site. Christmas tree story is gone but we put another story back with the parapet design. ask me sometime. 

i would like to hear tree stories if other architects here have any.

Jun 27, 16 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I have a couple sliver maples that should be around 60 years old.  One is hanging uncomfortably over the house.  I had them trimmed extensively a few years ago.  I would consider cutting them down since they lose huge branches (one pulled the power line off my house) but I don't think they make saws that big.

Planted a couple apple trees in their shade, and gave a third to a neighbor so they could easily pollinate

Jun 27, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

When it causes a life, health, safety risk, remove the tree. It is possible to plant a new one somewhere either on site or possibly elsewhere with appropriate approval/authorization and set it up so the one day it may grow. 

I don't mind those kinds of strategies where a tree is planted to replace one that is removed as needed.... on-site or off-site.

Jun 27, 16 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Yesterday I saw a wonderful white oak during a home garden tour, easily 80 feet tall with intact structure- estimated to be 200 years old. That and 100 year old cedars. Think I saw a "young" metasequoia on the property as well, but never got close enough to inspect.

The house was only 10 years old.

Jun 27, 16 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I'm reading a rather disturbing trend of "planting new trees will replace established ones" - nursery grown trees rarely do well in the long term.  There are a few places that grow them well (Halka in NJ for one), but most trees you buy commercially are not going to be the 80 ft specimens.

Trees planted 50 yrs ago were grown in better, less automated fields and it makes a difference.

It's always nice when a designer tries to work with specimen trees as a constraint and an asset.

Jun 28, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

At the end of the day, our decisions are validated by the capitalist mindset. Of course there are constraints to which ones are allowed to be cut or not, but overall; our efforts on natural preservation is mediocre at best (unless you're in Bhutan of course). The architect is always in constant dilemma about these things but ultimately, it is the client that has the steering wheel. 

Jun 30, 16 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Trees planted 50 yrs ago were grown in better, less automated fields and it makes a difference.

i was reading about apple trees and johnny appleseed (who planted seeds rather than the trees grafted onto root stock we use today) and all that.  fascinating stuff.  'better' is too loose of a term imho

Jun 30, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Curtkram: true, however, the root stock of most mechanized tree farming causes them to grow in a manner unsuitable for long-term growth - girdling, J-rooting, etc makes the tree unstable at best, suicidal at worst (often tree roots end up choking the around the trunk - it's so sad and takes years to take effect). 

Grafting can make for a hardier tree, but that root stock better be solid (which often can be as a) the fruit trees tend to be planted younger, and b) the expected productive years are shorter than a canopy tree).

Jul 1, 16 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: