Archinect
anchor

March I school list. Any suggestions please.

hsk880

hi everybody,

I will be applying for March I (non-architecture background) this December for Fall 2017 admission. Although I didn't major in architecture, I did major in interior design and have other design backgrounds. I have been researching many graduate schools and came up with a list of schools I am interested in applying to. 

INTERESTED IN:

Sustainable Design - I am really into sustainable design methods 
Interdisciplinary art/design + Robotics (although I don't know a whole lot about robots)
Form (Not so much gehry and zaha type of form but more like steven holl perkins and will etc.)

NOT VERY INTERESTED IN:
parametric design although I don't dislike them
avant garde stuff

PLANNING ON APPLYING TO : 
MIT - dream/lottery school . I like Meejin Yoon and Skylar Tibbit's work. I want to do something interactive with technology and architecture. I think their labs are interesting. 

BERKELEY - I read Berkeley is known for sustainable design (I don't know a whole lot about their faculty though.)

UCLA - robotics, I like Greg Lynn's approach to architecture + moving architecture. 

GA TECH - under research. Not sure what they are really known for but ill get in-state tuition.  

Are there other schools that I should look into? As I mentioned before, I am into sustainable design and interactive architecture using technology. I like to design but don't mind heavy research and theory either. Should I apply to more schools since those schools are competitive? 

Sorry about this lengthy read about some stranger online but your input will be greatly appreciated. Any tips & info on the four schools above will be helpful too. Thank you guys in advance!

Jun 23, 16 12:40 am
Obscura

Hey HSK880,

If you are interested in sustainable design/technology, then yes Berkeley and MIT are the schools that stand out. Both are renowned for the research they do that contribute to the field. They are both, unfortunately, highly competitive. 

The truth is that you will be able to focus on those subjects at almost any school that you enroll in. Especially in your final years as you formulate a thesis. Four schools is a good number to apply too, but it cant hurt to apply to a couple more, provided they are programs you actually want to attend. At the level to which you are applying, it can be a crap shoot getting into the top programs.

Tips are general; put together a clean portfolio and formulate a compelling, honest letter (or letters as the case with some of those schools). Those are the two things to focus your attention on. If you have conducted research at the undergrad level, topic irrelevant, highlight that. Be specific in discussing your goals. Good luck!

Jun 23, 16 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
hsk880

@Obscura,

Thank you for the response!
I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing to just apply to four schools. 
I agree with what you said and I feel like I should apply to a few more schools since the four schools I am applying to are higly competitive.
Do you have any suggestions for schools that are similar to my list but bit less competitive?

Jun 24, 16 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: