Archinect
anchor

Finding a Creative Outlet

chhess

For a little background I am recent licensee working at a small to mid size firm with little design focused work. Though I appreciate the opportunity my firm provides me to continue to develop my knowledge of the practical side of the profession; I long for the days of architecture school and exploring the theoretical.  I might be wrong, but I feel that this situation is not uncommon.

My question to those of you that are wiser (and less of a whiner) than myself, what ways have you found to express your creativity? Both specific or very general suggestions are  welcome.

Jun 20, 16 3:19 pm

I've gotten into painting a lot and writing/research a bit. I have friends that have side businesses in associated design worlds that do really good work (you know who you are). Some do competitions in their free time, some have side projects. The list goes on and on.

I don't know why but the combo of painting and hard cider is an excellent de-stressing mechanism.

Jun 20, 16 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

onanism

Jun 20, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

just start somewhere - one creative act leads to another - try something you haven't ever done before - collage - then paint it - then sculpt it - then photograph it - then write a poem.

give yourself fun homework and a space to work - turn off the TV.  start a journal to record what you are doing and what resonates with you - sketch.  Increase your tolerance for ambiguity - you don't have to know what it is that you are doing as long as you are having fun.  

Jun 20, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Just start somewhere!

That is the best simple advice that Ive heard on here in a while.

I think most younger ppl have a hard time taking a directive in life. Most of the time in a corporate setting you are expecting there to be 'work' for you, your boss or someone higher up the chain gives you "work", you do the 'work', and more 'work' comes down the chain. The architecture industry is notorious for dumping so much 'work' on its employees that most normal mortal beings can only take so much, and either mentally melt down, start abusing alcohol and other substances, or st8 get the fux outta the industry before it consumes their soul.

Just start somewhere! I'd suggest the latter of my instances. Working full time in architecture leaves little creative energy at the end of a work week.

Just start somewhere...Im going to go get that tattooed on me...so I never forget....

Jun 20, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I took up singing a few years ago. It's great because I can do it anywhere, anytime and I get artistic expression and both physical and mental exercise all in one action that is also enjoyable and rewarding in the sense that I can explore ideas get better with practice.

I take writing classes and other classes online. I don't always complete the work. It is worth it just to listen to or read the material on a wide variety of topics. Vitamins for the brain making everything more meaningful and rewarding...

Jun 22, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Just ordered a tube of Urushi lacquer from Japan, going to try my hand at some lacquerware objects... 

I've been trying to be very conscientious to sketch every day... may formula is to find something round, draw a circle in my sketchbook, then fill it with something. It definitely goes back to the above advice to "start anywhere"

Jun 22, 16 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I took a physiology and anatomy class and filled some sketchbooks with biomedical illustrations. This isn't my drawing, but what I was inspired by. 

Jun 22, 16 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I have held a long standing interest in computer programing, scripting and small electronics prototyping boards like arduindo and rasberrypi. Tons of information out there to teach yourself with. Then i use those to create fun artistic compositions that i would like to think will eventually come back in some sort of architectural manifestation.  Things like this: 

Jun 22, 16 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Sound design.

Zero knowledge of music theory, but heavy on the synthesis; Totally amateurish, can't play a fucking chord without looking it up, but Brian Eno told me that's ok and that people like us are the future.

Jun 22, 16 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

A lot of us (including myself) came into architecture thinking that it would actually be the Creative Outlet, only to find out that for a lot of us, the "creativity" is in drawing up bathrooms.

Jun 22, 16 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

i like to get creative with my timesheet.

Jun 22, 16 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

agree with same-ol,

That is why it is imperative for architects to keep exploring personal interests and creative outlets both related and unrelated to architecture and design .  

When the opportunity for a creative solution present itself in architecture and you haven't thought in that way in years, you will shit the bed.  As they say use it or lose it.

Jun 22, 16 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: