Archinect
anchor

Accessibility Question

shellarchitect

Maybe this is a simple question, but I want to be sure that I'm right about this....

I'm currently working on an interior build out to an existing grocery store.  We are carving out a portion of the sales floor for a storage/staging area, a cooler, freezer, and work area.  Total area of the new space is just under 1,000 sq.ft.  The area will have two exits, one to the main sales floor, the other is an existing door.  Since the online ordering pickup process generally involves employees bring carts to the customers cars, we will provide a new ramp from the door to the existing sidewalk/parking area, approximately 30" down from the door.  

The question is, does this ramp need to be accessible? (1:12 slope vs 1:8 slope)  I would like to argue that the accessible egress route is through the store, and that the direct to exterior door is only for able-bodied employees pushing carts.  There will still be an level landing outside the door.  

Does this line of reasoning make sense?  If I've left out any relevant info let me know.

Jun 20, 16 9:06 am
archanonymous

sounds ok to me. I've found that things like this really depend on local building officials who will permit, inspect, and sign off on the project.

Is it best practice? No. Every entrance and exit should be accessible.

At the same time, someone in a wheelchair isn't going to complain too much about a 1:8 ramp if the storage/ staging area is on fire and that's the most expedient way out.

Jun 20, 16 9:35 am  · 
 · 
poop876

You can always put a sign up "Able bodied employees only" and wait for a lawsuit. 

Jun 20, 16 10:33 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

If you have a stair to go with the ramp: 1007.3 references use of a stair as part of an accessible means of egress.  If the store is sprinklered, there isn't a requirement for area of refuge.  

Jun 20, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

no stair, fully sprinkled, so follow up question....

Does the exterior landing need to connect to the existing sidewalks?  I have always thought that it did, it doesn't at the moment.  

Jun 20, 16 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

If that is your defined exit door and exit path. 

Jun 20, 16 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: