Archinect
anchor

Should I worry about my building?

b3tadine[sutures]

There you go, nothing but a lot of talk and a fake seal. You're a fraud.

It'll take you less time to upload a sketch you fumbled out on MS Paint, than it does to write one of your fucking insufferable screeds on whatever topic you decide to shitte on. Now, I surmise, some PEOPLE - SL, will say the same about me, but hey, that's why I love him. 

Jun 20, 16 2:00 am  · 
 · 

b3ta,

I sketch with paper and pencil or pen. Freehand sketching with a trackball or mouse is a pain in the fucking ass and tedious as hell. I had stop doing that because of the pain in the wrist that caused over time. Much shorter than with a paper and pencil.

PS: What damn seal is being affixed?

Jun 20, 16 2:03 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Rick, you can take a picture with your phone if you have one. No need to scan to digitize. 

Jun 20, 16 7:50 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick - you are delusional. what happens is - you make a false statement (90% of the time when you post). someone calls you out on it and instead of admitting you are wrong or have no idea what you are talking about you continue. then another person calls you out. this goes on and on until every sane person with actual experience has called you out. let me help you with this - Richard Balkins is the problem and no one else. Richard Balkins deserves the treatment he receives as he has earned it.

Jun 20, 16 8:02 am  · 
 · 

Rick, you can take a picture with your phone if you have one. No need to scan to digitize. 

tintt,

My cell phone does not have internet service setup. It is not an iphone. It's a cell phone without the internet/data service. The computer is used for internet not a phone. The camera function in the phone is screwed up. I'm not going to worry about that at this time. 

While I do have a digital camera, it is still a tedious task to taking the data from the memory card and transfer it to the computer and upload to the internet and all the other crap. Something that would take maybe less than 5 minutes to sketch and have the discussion and be over with in person, adds another overhead of say.... 5 minutes or so for a forum discussion.

Jun 20, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you spend more than 5 minutes on here.  you should spend even more time than you do, so you can proofread what you type and think before you post.

there is help.  tintt has resources that could help you overcome whatever problems it is you're facing.

Jun 20, 16 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Dog ate my homework, or should I say, dog ate my Ramsay Bolton.
Jun 20, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

Rick, before I took mechanics courses I thought I knew how structures behaved as well.  Turns out I was incredibly ignorant; much of engineering mechanics are not as intuitive as they seem.  In this thread you've demonstrated a similar ignorance of someone who knows just enough to pretend to be knowledgeable, but not nearly enough to say anything concrete. 

It's impossible to learn anything further unless you admit to yourself that you are ignorant.  Please take a step back from this forum and do some self-reflection.  Ask yourself what you actually know, where the gaps in your knowledge are, and what you can do today to fill them. 

Is it more worth your time to respond to everyone who is "ganging up on you" with further ignorant statements, or would that time be more valuable changing yourself for the better?

Jun 20, 16 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Schoon,

With only two photos, it is impossible to determine how the building is going to perform. None of us knows exactly what the foundation is unless you know exactly what building this is and where and has already obtained copies of the original building plans. Just because you may do something a certain way in the U.S. doesn't mean this was or is going to be done the same way in another country. What you learn in college in a U.S. school is primarily geared around what is done in the U.S. not another country.

We know just from China alone that they can serious fuck up shit and have a building fall over. 

We don't know if the developer and contractor didn't do dangerous cutting of corners during the construction of the tall apartment building. 

First assessment is looking at the original plans. Does it have sufficient continuous shear walls along both perpendicular axis of the building? Does it have a pile foundation system? Are they connected together by a continuous caps (grade beams) ? Is there sufficient resistance to swaying more than a 1/2" in any direction because there is no separation gap between the buildings. Otherwise, the buildings will pound into the adjacent buildings. With the removal of one of the adjacent buildings, the tall building has one less building to possibly found against but unless the footing system is a deep foundation system and grade beam being deeper than the footing or grade beam of the adjacent lower height building that was removed and that there is a continuous wall line (basement wall line) in the tall building, the removal of the adjacent building could have reduced the soil bearing capacity of the soil under the foundation grade beam by loosening up the soil and then causing a potential differential soil condition on an exterior bearing wall plane which can lead to problems with the building settling. That can be a problem, especially if the  developers and contractors did not install deep foundation systems along the exterior wall plane. 

This is all hypothetical, of course. Unless you can precisely verify the foundation systems of the tall building, I would not ignore something, albeit remote chance, that can result in a structural collapse of the building.

We don't know unless we actually have more information than this building. I agree with what you guys are saying for best practices but we all know best practices aren't always followed. In addition, we all know that best practices is a moving target as that is an opinion. 

I am not saying your opinion of best practices is right or wrong. I raise the question, can you guarantee with your license on the line that the people who built this building or the people who demolished an adjacent building DID use those best practices that was suggested on this thread.

Like you, I sure the hell hope that was done.

Without verification, how can we know? I wouldn't want to say to this guy to "ignore the issues. There's no issue. It's just ordinary sway in high winds." and then hear or read on the news a week or a month or so later that the building fell over (overturned) and collapsed and there was a bunch of loss of life. 

If there is a serious problem, it needs to be investigated and addressed. What might seem inconsequential can snow ball into a disaster. As a professional, you should know that.

If I am being extra cautious, what's wrong with that? First step is obvious, start with researching the existing records from original plans, alteration plans, and documentation regarding the demolition of the adjacent structure that was demolished. Next step, may require further steps but those are just the starting point.

It may very well be nothing of concern. Unless you have something more credible than a college course or two, with explicit regards to the tall building and/or possibly the demolition of the adjacent building, it would be irresponsible to tell someone that lives in the building to just simply ignore it as if there is no problem. 

What I read from your responses is basically saying.... There's no problem. There's nothing to be concerned about.

All the while, NONE of you actually knows this building or seen the architectural plans for the buildings or structural engineering drawings. You don't know where this building is or what building this is or when it was built, who designed it, who engineered it, who the developer was or who the builder is. You don't know if the client/developer and/or contractor were cutting corners for costs that seriously and dangerously compromise the structure. You don't know anything about the demolition and how it was actually done. 

How things are done in the U.S. does not mean it is done in another country. 

International standards of practice is a fairy tale. It doesn't universally exists. You're assuming your 10 to 20 weeks of 4 credit classes is enough to say there isn't a problem.

From a seismic point of view, its L shape foot print (from all I can tell from the two photos), narrow width of maybe ~20 ft. (+/- 5 ft.) for the portion between the two low rise buildings and a height of 260 or so feet already a problematic design. While seismic activity on one axis is okay from what I see but seismic induced sway and shear force on the perpendicular plane looks to be problematic. This building is about the width of my house in that space in between the two lower rise buildings. Most buildings that height are a tad wider and that width to height ratio helps to limit sway.

If it is a T-shape building (which I can't tell very well from the photos), it maybe more stable.

Jun 20, 16 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Signed - Richard WC TL;DR Balkins

Jun 20, 16 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
nicholass817

Dog ate my homework, or should I say, dog ate my Ramsay Bolton.

Nice...that f-er deserved to be dog chow.  

Rick - Which is a more likely to withstand a major earthquake and why?  A yurt or an adobe hut.

Jun 20, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

nicholass817,

I'd rather design a skyscraper to prove the point than worry about seismic performance of two different types of indigenous vernacular building types that depends on conditional quality of the materials used, and the craftsmanship. 

The yurt uses materials that are naturally elastic and with a lattice weave is like a basket so it is conceivable that it may possibly perform well under an earthquake if the condition of of the ties and elastic fiberous materials are good. Seismic performance of adobe huts will depend on how the masonry units being kept together. So if there is some kind of 'reinforcement' tie vertically and horizontally to keep the units tied together so as to not separate apart during a seismic event, it could perform well as well. There are too many unknowns on something totally vernacular to answer which will perform better. They are different structures with different properties and in turn also different pros and cons by two completely different cultures in very different locations.

Jun 20, 16 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, brevity is the soul of wit. Also, you have no clue. Please stop spreading misinformation. 

Jun 20, 16 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Just stop responding, it's worked out great for me.

Jun 20, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Rick, does the weight of a building influence its behavior in an earthquake?  

What weighs more, a yurt or an adobe hut?

Jun 20, 16 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Oh I think that exact question was on the ARE.

I forgot the answer though because I had to flush my brain of Structures to study for Building Systems

Jun 20, 16 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
archie

Back to stacesimone's question.   If you are worried  (and it is not a bad thing to be cautious), then go to your local building official that would oversee the construction or demolition and tell them of your concerns.   The building could be perfectly fine, or it could be adversely affected.   I personally know of several buildings in the United States, in fact in my state, that suffered a collapse when the adjacent building was torn down.  If the demolition is not done properly, the footings of your smaller building could be undermined, causing a collapse.   There is no harm in asking the authorities of the demolition is being done under a permit and under the supervision of an engineer.

Jun 20, 16 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

OMG, stop. You can't predict the behaviors of a yurt vs. an adobe hut in an earthquake unless you know how many kangaroos are being employed on the interior for lateral bracing!

Jun 20, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"go to your local building official that would oversee the construction or demolition and tell them of your concerns."

Easier said than done in China.

· 

archie, 

Is the building even in the U.S.?

· 
tduds

Donna: I'm adding "lateral kangaroos" to this list I'm making of phonoaesthetically interesting word pairings. Thanks!

Jun 20, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

OMG, stop. You can't predict the behaviors of a yurt vs. an adobe hut in an earthquake unless you know how many kangaroos are being employed on the interior for lateral bracing!

LOL.... you're right. We need to assess if there has been any animal rights impeded in  the making of Yurts and all.

Jun 20, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

shuellmi,

Rick, does the weight of a building influence its behavior in an earthquake?  

What weighs more, a yurt or an adobe hut?

Weight can influence the behavior of a building in an earthquake but it is more than that. The distribution of weight does influence the behavior of a building in an earthquake. Goes back to principle of center of gravity and how close you achieve absolute static stability which would not be achieved completely with the high rise apartment building.

In a magnitude 8.0 or 9.0+ earthquake, weight alone isn't going to matter much. Distribution of weight would matter. Pendulum weight is used in high rise buildings as a means to control and limit sway of the high rise. The falls on the idea of counter-weight to neutralize the inertia by imposing a counter-inertia to limit and control sway and building movements so they don't end up colliding with a neighboring building.

In short, in such a large earthquake, just because a building weighs more is no guarantee it will perform better in an earthquake. You have to look at the structure holistically not just one aspect. 

Jun 20, 16 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Fascinating, can you answer the question? Assume yurt and hut are the same size and use typical construction

Jun 20, 16 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Ricky, you do know that dampers (aka pendulums) in tall buildings are only to control against sway caused by wind forces. These are very often, if not always, locked during earthquakes.

How many stories could you design in a yurt?
Jun 20, 16 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I like yogurt AND marsupials.
Jun 20, 16 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Is a multi-storied yurt still exempt, or has it exceeded its height and area limitaion requiring a design professional?

Jun 20, 16 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

N.S.,

Yes but they do still have an effect during earthquakes. It could do the opposite for seismic and make things worse. The trick is to make an inverted pendulum strategy which is a type of seismic damper if I recall correctly. I've read about them awhile back.

Jun 20, 16 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

JeromeS,

Not if one choose to design one for a site in a country that doesn't require architectural licensing.

Jun 20, 16 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

I like yogurt AND marsupials.

In a workday of lots of people yammering nonsensically at me all day long, this is the best sentence I've heard today. Maybe this week.

Jun 20, 16 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
You know what were awesome? Dunkaroos
Jun 20, 16 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I used to eat dunkaroos in my dungarees. 

Jun 20, 16 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
I ate them in my underoos
Jun 20, 16 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

the building wont collapse. but the stress of the idea of the building collapsing is not worth it so just move out.

Jun 24, 16 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

dunkaroos were not awesome.  i'm sorry you were unaware of that at the time.

Jun 24, 16 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: