Archinect
anchor

Land Art/ Environmental Art

archanonymous

Liked the idea, so here's one to start:

Allied Works Maryhill Overlook.

There is also a replica of Stonehenge not too far from here... some latitude as the original apparently. 

Jun 15, 16 6:41 pm
tduds

I've been by there! It's a pretty impressive museum for being in the middle of nowhere. Good winery right nextdoor too!

As for land art, de Maria's Lightning Field is probably one of the coolest things I've ever heard of. I'd love to make it down there some time.

http://www.diaart.org/sites/page/56/1375

Jun 15, 16 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

wow archanonymous, would love to visit that

Jun 15, 16 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Awesome! 

Jun 15, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Back to a classic.... I love how it goes from visible to invisible depending on water levels. Have been fortunate to go past it in both conditions.

Robert Smithson, Spiral Jetty.

Jun 15, 16 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, the list. But I'll start with-

City by Heizer 

and Double Negative

To think I my Land Art book was in my donation pile (until this morning)...

Jun 15, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

wow, City by Heizer, so much cool stuff to learn about

Jun 15, 16 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Star Axis, Ross

Jun 16, 16 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Jun 16, 16 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

. Wave Field, Maya Lin

Jun 16, 16 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Sadly, that Maya Lin project "has seen better days."

Jun 16, 16 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Irwin...one of the coolest and most inspirational projects...

Mark, that sucks to hear...she's one of my all time favorites, and wave field is so brilliantly simple...

Jun 16, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

Went to Marfa TX for a wedding, we stopped by The Chinati Foundation before the ceremony - this area is free to the public. Maybe it qualifies as "Environmental Art". The overall project has a lot in common with the Allied Works project in the original post (concrete, boxy, inhabitable) but the Judd work seemed like a really complicated mix of exterior and interior focus depending on the arrangement. Allied Works project seems focused on the horizon and the table-top mesa itself; Judd doesn't really address the horizon. Anyways, cool thread, love this stuff.

Jun 16, 16 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

The angle of the slope is too steep, leading to erosion along the top edges. I also think the areas around the mounds could be maintained a little better (but thats my opinion).

But speaking of Storm King, that in itself was a massive earth work and reclamation process to make the sculpture park.

Jun 16, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

That reminded me of Goldsworthy

Jun 16, 16 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

@Olaf re: Heizer you could start here

Love this thread. How about Roden Crater by Turrell?

Jun 19, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
jeffW

I also enjoy this thread thanks for posting.  Let me ask I don't really understand the"Double Negative"  posted by Marc.  Is it just something that must be experience in person? Or am I missing something.

thanks,  jeff

Jun 20, 16 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

Damn, that looks sweet Nam. Looks like it is still closed to the public - can't wait until it opens. Not sure I'm up for the challenge of getting out to the site:

“Be aware that the desert is not a forgiving place, and that the crater is remote, many miles from the nearest paved road,” he wrote. “You can die trying to get there.”

Jun 20, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

This was a cool design from a few years back, seems like next to airports is an underutilized opportunity for some land art.

Buitenschot Land Art Park

H+N+S Landscape Architects

Paul de Kort

Jun 20, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Jeff,

The Heizer project is one of first land art projects with that degree of ambition. It's also been interesting to (remotely) watch the project age over time- landscape taking over landscape.

Nam, thanks for posting the Turrell project.

Jun 20, 16 9:50 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Marc, do you know if it's possible to visit the city?

Jun 20, 16 10:02 am  · 
 · 

@Marc I have yet to experience any Turrell  in person. Would love to visit Roden (if/when opens to public). As well as a lot of the other American Land Art, now that I am in the West...

Jun 20, 16 10:15 am  · 
 · 

@JLC  City is close to closed to the public. The last I heard it's not done yet, and he intentionally went to the middle of nowhere to avoid any interruption.

@Nam I've seen the piece at the Walker in Minneapolis. The attention to light is incredible and results in some really nice details from the inside. 

Jun 20, 16 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

trees...

Jun 20, 16 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I've been to a couple Turrell projects (not Roden).  Pretty cool in person, and the sky effect is actually surprisingly much starker and more effective in person than in pics...

Jun 20, 16 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Sonja Hinrichsen

Jun 20, 16 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Gulliano Mauri, Snow Cathedral. 

Jun 20, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Love love this thread!  Always enjoyed Irwin, Heizer, De Maria, Smithson and Goldsworthy.  Smithson's writings are well worth visiting or re-visiting.

Jun 20, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Bump

Jun 21, 16 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Jun 21, 16 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

How is Roden Crater, the most ambitious work of landscape art in the modern era, not yet on this list?

Jun 21, 16 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Another, lesser-known Turrell project at Craiganour, Scotland:

Jun 21, 16 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

annual rings

wishing the mountains madness

one hour run

Whirlpool

Dennis Oppenheim

Jun 21, 16 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Anything by richard long!!!

Jun 21, 16 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

@gwharton, didn't see my post I guess? But thanks for posting those amazing photos!

Jun 21, 16 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

Took this one at St. Louis Art Museum. It's by Goldsworthy but not sure if it counts...

More info

Jun 21, 16 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I'd say it counts.  

Jun 21, 16 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
ReddishEgret

While not built (yet), I'm very excited for Christo's Over the River. 

Jun 21, 16 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Sylvian Meyer

Jun 22, 16 2:13 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Jun 22, 16 2:14 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

M

Anouk Vogul.   Cool, less known project...

Jun 22, 16 2:21 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Wow, these are all pretty great. Bookmarking this thread.

Zander Olsen.

Tree, Line.

Jun 22, 16 9:35 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Best Serra Ever. Need to go see this.

Richard Serra

Te Tuhirangui Contour

Gibbs Farm

Jun 22, 16 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/08/29/michael-heizers-city

Great article on Heizer. Was struck by how much his family background influenced his work, the absolutely insane scale of City and need for almost constant ongoing maintenance, and his pettiness/competitiveness towards Smithson. Can't wait to see City when it finally opens. Or if it opens?

Also, this:

Compression Line, so damn good...

Aug 30, 16 8:09 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

oh man, this thread is one of my favorites.  Bump.

Jun 30, 18 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Newish Goldsworthy...

Jun 30, 18 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

"Oldish" and literally uncomfortable-

Other Room III,Guan Lee

Jul 1, 18 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Nice. Never seen that one.

Jul 1, 18 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Kahn's Salk Institute. The idea for the running water feature and sparse plaza may have been suggested by his friend Luis Barragan. The setting sun is exactly in line with the water channel on the Spring and Fall equinox dates.  

Jul 2, 18 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: