Archinect
anchor

Will clearing ARB Part 1 qualify me for a NQF Level 6 job for a Tier 2 Visa?

ss01

Hi I am a practising architect with two years of experience from India with a COA certified B.Arch degree and am planning to go to Mackintosh school of Architecture for Masters this year. I plan to work after my Master's degree as an Architectural Assistant but apparently in the Tier 2 Visa criteria the qualification level of the job has been raised from NQF level 4 (Architectural Assistant ) to NQF Level 6 (Architect part 1 part 2 or Chartered Architect i think) Even though I will have a NQF Level 7 degree (Masters or equivalent) at the end of the course from a highly regarded school I will not be able to practise as I dont have a RIBA accreditation. Also, according to the new rules it is much more easier to switch from a Tier 4 student visa to a Tier 2. 

I dont mind taking the ARB part 1 prescribed exam (Yes the exam from hell) but I am not sure if it is worth it since the exam is expensive and a risk! I am unsure that if I clear the Part 1 exam whether the NQF level of the job is raised to Level 6 (where an employer will be willing to sponsor me)

For me, spending so much to study in the UK wouldnt make much sense if I cant at least work there for a couple of years to gain some international experience and pay off my student loan. I dont mean  to crib but its unfair that highly qualified people who are fluent in English dont get the opportunity while EU students with little knowledge of English ( in some cases, dont mean to generalize) have no restrictions. 

I am not sure if I should spend time and money on preparing for the ARB Part 1. Does anyone know if the Part 1 Architect is actually classified as NQF Level 6? Also are there any work around to this (any kind of government schemes etc) for Indians? 

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks and Regards

Jun 13, 16 8:45 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: