Archinect
anchor

Los Angeles Architecture Attorney

smithgroupla

Can anyone recommend a good attorney to talk to?  I have a project where the client is suing me for designing something he feels is over budget, even though I've been telling him all along of the rough cost of the building and we have 3 quotes that are within range of my estimate.  He claims the building should cost half.  Dealing with an inexperienced client who feels he can just bully me to redo the project for free.  Though frivolous, I still need to talk to an attorney to squash this issue before the client follows through with a lawsuit.

Jun 12, 16 3:25 pm
Archinect

Brian Newman, Archinect Sessions legal correspondent, isn't specialized in architecture law, but he's a great attorney that loves architects. 

Jun 12, 16 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

I have no recommendations for lawyers, but wonder is smithgroupla your firm's actual name? If so, you are probably going to encounter problems if you continue using it, given that there is a large corporate firm with the name SmithGroup. Something to discuss if you find a lawyer...

Jun 12, 16 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

R.Blakarino, our resident expert on everything,  will probably provide you with plenty of free legal advice in no time.

Jun 12, 16 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
smithgroupla

R Blakarino, i googled him but cant find any info on him.  Do you have a telephone number? maybe via private message or something?

Jun 13, 16 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Did he really "googled" for that?

Jun 13, 16 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You seriously looked him up? You do realize that was not a serious reply right?

Balkarino, aka, Dick Balkins, is a frequent poster of bullshit/ignorance masquerading as knowledge here and on occasion, he likes to prend that he is an attorney of such... You can see what I mean at the following thread:

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/149942221/cpbd-exam-specifications-under-review-by-ncbdc

I am honestly surprised he has not chimed in yet.

Jun 13, 16 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey ricky... nice for you to join the fun.

Jun 13, 16 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

smithgroupla,

I'm going to have to set you straight a little bit. Don't continue searching for R.Blakarino. N.S. put you on a goose chase.

Here's a couple law firms: (Please note that this is by far not a complete exhaustive list)

https://www.omm.com/

https://www.manatt.com/

The first one does clearly indicate that they cover professional services.

Jun 13, 16 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

They maybe a little too big of a law firm for your case. I can't say but they may also be able to further help in referring you to other attorneys that may suit your case. 

There is plenty to look around.

Jun 13, 16 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

I'm largely focusing on Los Angeles area firms.

Here are some other law practices:

http://www.stockerlancaster.com/PracticeAreas/Construction-Law-Litigation.html

http://www.bartringlaw.com/Areas-Of-Practice/

http://www.feingoldspiegel.com/construction-law/

https://www.bakerburtonlundy.com/real-estate-construction-and-business-law/construction-law/

http://melissakdagodag.com/

BY NO MEANS IS THIS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OR AN ENDORSEMENT OF ANY LAW FIRM. THESE ARE JUST SOME THAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION THROUGH A FEW MINUTES OF SEARCHING THE INTERNET.

Jun 13, 16 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

In other words, OP asked a forum for specific advice and instead got RB's Google search results. What a score.

Jun 13, 16 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Can anyone recommend a good attorney to talk to?  I have a project where the client is suing me for designing something he feels is over budget, even though I've been telling him all along of the rough cost of the building and we have 3 quotes that are within range of my estimate.  He claims the building should cost half.  Dealing with an inexperienced client who feels he can just bully me to redo the project for free.  Though frivolous, I still need to talk to an attorney to squash this issue before the client follows through with a lawsuit.

I answered question but I am not endorsing any singular law firm. The rest of these questions are not something I am going to get myself involved in. The law firms are something he has to assess. 

There are a number of experienced lawyers or law firms that serves the architectural profession. In general, you will not find any law firm that exclusively serves architecture industry unless the lawyer is employed by an architect firm as an employee or business partner. Independent law firms serves a broader client base because there isn't enough architects to sustain a law firm of any substantial size. Maybe a botique law practice of one person but, in general, lawyers tend to have broader interests in laws than just architecture laws.

Jun 13, 16 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If OP wanted the results of a google search, OP would have fucking googled it.

OP wants information from informed sources.

You failed to provide anything OP could not have gotten from google.

Key letters in sequence: Y-O-U F-A-I-L.

Jun 13, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Rickepedia 

Jun 13, 16 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

If the OP wanted more than what he asked, he/she would have asked very SPECIFIC QUESTIONS.  

What does the OP want? I am not a fucking mind reader. Ask the questions you want answered in the form of a question. I am not volunteering a bunch of additional information than what was asked.

The ONLY question actually asked in the original post IS a question that is easily answered by searching with a search engine. The OP did not ask anything else. If the OP comes back with more specific questions, those questions will be answered by someone.

Properly written questions ends with a question mark. 

The same way I tell clients to communicate their thoughts in words either verbally to me or in writing. If you leave it in your head, then don't assume I will address those thoughts in your mind. I'm not a mind reader.

Jun 13, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
The thing being overlooked by the just starting dumpster fire is midlander's question. If you are the LA office of SmithGroupJJR wouldn't you guys have someone on retainer anyway? And if you aren't, well you might want to think of a name change. I'm assuming your last name is Smith which is common, but combined with group everyone thinks of the larger firm. Could be infringement given being in the same field.

Personally you should go with Agent Smith, have your logo be Hugo Weaving.
Jun 13, 16 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ no, logo should be Lord Elrond of Rivendell for added spiciness.

Jun 13, 16 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

... and another poor soul wanders onto Archinect and meets the abyss.

Jun 13, 16 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
This thread is like Midas. Becoming gold.
Jun 13, 16 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Hey, did you guys know there is a really big architecture firm named Smith Group? I wonder if the op works there, maybe they are even the founder? That seems totally plausible!

Jun 13, 16 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

It was super nice of balkins to Google lawyers for the op, couldn't do that himself. If you have insurance your carrier can recommend a lawyer, if not, tell the client to f themselves and that their lawyer is a waste of money. (Hopefully the client isn't a lawyer)

Jun 13, 16 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Sorry I don't actual know any lawyers in your part of the country. Let us know what comes out of this, always interesting and instructive

Jun 13, 16 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

yeah......  SmithGroupJJR. 

Jun 13, 16 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I see some money in a ricki app...like Siri except you get more words and less information...

Jun 14, 16 12:50 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

ME:  ricki, find me a Chinese restaurant near downtown...

Ricki:  Chinese restaurants requires health inspections from the department of health.  You should always ask if they haves UP TO DATE inspection records.  There are 2 billion people in China.  Most of them are Chinese.  Some are probably westerners but the Chinese probably hate them due to the South China Sea dispute...Astoria Oregon has approximately 3 Chinese Americans.  Data from Goonies is actually not from Astoria in real life, but he really is Chinese.  

Jun 14, 16 12:57 am  · 
 · 

jla-x,

What are you babbling about?

Jun 14, 16 3:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cheers to you Jla.x for the early morning chuckle.

Jun 14, 16 8:36 am  · 
 · 
poop876

jla, spot on! I will be joining Miles. This guy needs some serious help!

Jun 14, 16 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Rick here's a translation:  it's just that when someone starts with "can anyone recommend a good attorney" it implies they're seeking other people's personal experiences or knowledge of the qualifications and/or reputations of specific attorneys. That's what a recommendation is - a statement regarding qualifications or character. They're not asking for people to google random lawyers.

Given that the act of posting on this forum implies inherent basic internet navigation skills, you can assume that nobody ever asks anything here for which they are merely seeking assistance with googling, so if that's all you can offer then your assistance is not needed.

Jun 14, 16 10:45 am  · 
 · 
smithgroupla

Wow ... i really thought this might be informative but this thread is just full of people filling up their time at work with anything but work.  I'm glad none of you work at my office.

Jun 16, 16 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
smithgroupla

and no, smithgroup la is not my real name

Jun 16, 16 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Try Brian Stewart at Collins Collins Muir + Stewart.  Dude is aggressive.

Jun 16, 16 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
smithgroupla

Thanks Janosh

Jun 17, 16 1:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Smith, only 2 people here wasted their time with thread and one is not employable by any definition of the term.
Jun 17, 16 7:45 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Actually, Smith is spot-on here.

Jun 17, 16 11:03 am  · 
 · 

All I can say, is good luck and bueno suerte......you will spend all of your money on an attorney and still lose. Perhaps, you may want to leave the country.

Jun 17, 16 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: