Archinect
anchor

Go on to the masters or stay at the post-bac?

manoverde84

Hello, 

I've been posting for a while now and you guys have given me a lot of excellent advice as well as encouragement. I have one last question and I promise I will quit bugging ya'll. 

Ok so I am starting off with the post-bac certificate program at the College of Engineering in construction management. The post bac is essentially like getting an extra major or a second bachelors I am assuming but it covers all of the basics: 1. Construction materials, methods, and equipment, 2. Estimation, 3.Scheduling, cost control, 4. Structural principles/practices, 5. Mechanical and electrical systems and 6. Contracting 

I have the option of continuing on to the masters in CM but I was hoping to seek entry level employment with the Post-Bac first. Is this possible? I was hoping to gain experience then pay for the masters later. 

Based on the courses I listed would the Post Bac be sufficient to go out and look for entry level work in the construction field. I already have a bachelors degree in economics. I would do any level of work whether field engineer, assistant project management, anything. According to the program adviser, after I complete the program I am eligible to sit for the Associate Constructor  Level 1 exam with the American Institute of Constructors. Would that help too when looking for work? 

Any advice would help! Should I stick it out until the Masters or could I find entry level work with the Post-Bac?

Jun 10, 16 8:46 pm
manoverde84

Anyone?

Jun 10, 16 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

No one?

Jun 11, 16 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bueller?

Jun 11, 16 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Yeah, tell me about it! . LOL 

Jun 12, 16 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Stick to the Masters, capitalize from the momentum that you currently have.  Its difficult to head back to school somehow when you head out.

Jun 12, 16 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Get some nailbags and calluses. My standard advice for people that may have too much book learnin'. My apologies if you have nailbags and calluses already. 

Jun 12, 16 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I know should capitalize on the momentum and go through the masters but it for some reason it doesn't work out, would a post bac be sufficient to enter the workforce with? 

Go do it, are you saying I should sign up for an apprenticeship with a trade union or something? 

Jun 13, 16 9:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^he's saying what we've all told you numerous times: Get some some real world experience before adding on more diplomas.

Jun 13, 16 9:33 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I understand that. But how can I get it without the diploma? That's why I was asking if I could just get work with the post bac before jumping into a masters? 

Jun 13, 16 11:01 am  · 
 · 
go do it

Just get some nail bags with all the framing tools required sling it over your shoulder and walk up to a residential framing job site and say "do you guys need another hand?"

Then they will say "yea for x dollars" then you say "ok" 

Then you pay your dues by taking all their jabs and punches "hey the school boy has all new tools' "i didn't know they made tools this shiny" "go get me the board stretcher"

All the while you carry more , run to help lift walls without being asked, help more, ask more questions, first there last to leave and take your check put it in your pocket without looking at it. 

After about three weeks they will see that you ​want to learn and then help you.

Jun 13, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I figured that was entry level construction work not entry level management work. Don't recent grads in CM go into assistant project management positions? I didn't figure they actually put up drywall. 

Jun 13, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

you don't need a diploma.  get some bags and basic tools (square, chalk, impact, framing hammer, tape), show up on a job site, pay your dues, and learn how a building comes together.  the best CM's are guys who came up doing actual work--construction--not the guys who just went to school.  you'll learn more about phasing and assemblies by swinging a hammer than you will with an additional degree.  

Jun 13, 16 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

echo

Jun 14, 16 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: