Archinect
anchor

Getting into the Field

LeonSatyr

As of right now I do not have a degree and I am unsure if being an architect is the right choice. Would it be wise to try and get a job (such as receptionist or janitor) at an architectural firm and see if the work is something I would be interested in first before taking out a small fortune of loans? If so, where should I be looking for such positions (relocation is currently a plan anyway)? Are there any ways around getting a degree to become a licensed architect or do some firms offer tuition assistance?

Jun 10, 16 2:27 pm
no_form

nothing wrong with calling up local places to shadow for a few days.  or they may even have you do some stuff for a few bucks.  

if you're looking to become a licensed architect through experience it's a tough climb.  how are you going to get a job with no education?  who is going to mentor you at a large profit loss to teach you when everyone else invested in getting a degree (much like your mentor did).  

if you don't want to take out loans and don't know if you want to even be an architect, why bother?  

some firms do offer tuition assistance.  how will you get hired in one with no education or experience?  

Jun 10, 16 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

try getting in as a "physical model maker" for an architectural firm for free. then you get an idea on how things work

Jun 10, 16 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

Would it be wise to try and get a job (such as receptionist or janitor) at an architectural firm and see if the work is something I would be interested in first before taking out a small fortune of loans?

Researching potential employers is always a great idea. You should also speak with practicing architects and current students to see if it is something you would like to pursue.

Where should I be looking for such positions (relocation is currently a plan anyway)?

I am going to guess you are in the U.S. If so, you may want to think about one of the states listed below that doesn't require a degree. 

Are there any ways around getting a degree to become a licensed architect or do some firms offer tuition assistance?

Yes, not all states require a degree for licensure and while it is rare, some firms (usually the larger offices) offer tuition reimbursement.

Here is the list of states that currently allow licensure without a degree:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • New Hampshire
  • New York
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

Use the "Select Jurisdiction" dropdown to see state specific requirements from NCARB:

REGISTRATION BOARD LICENSING REQUIREMENTS

Here are a couple articles that might be helpful for you:

3 Tips to Get An Architecture Job With No Experience

Architecture School and Student Loans

Jun 15, 16 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure someone will be kind and considerate enough to give you a shot and not be a complete asshole..lol. Anyways give any architect a call in your local city and I promise you they will give all the advice you would like as far as working in the office that is going to be very difficult no firm when I was in school gave me anything except advice.

Jul 3, 16 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Just stop by firms you're interested or call them and let them know your situation.  I'm sure principals know or have come across countless individuals who weren't sure if this was the right profession for them. 

Jul 3, 16 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: