Archinect
anchor

Geek out with me for a second.

JonathanLivingston

So architecture is fun and all but in my spare time i like to tinker with electronics. i have found the arduino especially fun and have a small CNC machine run with one that I built in my garage. So I'm always thinking of fun little side projects

I have an idea for a project that I'm working how I could do something along these lines? 

What I want to do is great a large spinning disc / light that will turn on and turn around when my computer is "processing something" or whenever the mouse is doing the rotating blue windows circle icon as the pointer. Basically a fun way for everyone in my office to see that my computer is crunching some stuff while I'm up getting coffee or something. 

My main question is how to get the proper signal from windows to start my device. I feel fine with building the device, controlling the light, motor, ect. and all the electronics hardware and wiring. But I haven't the slightest clue on how I could interpret that state from my desktop and translate it to my arduino to signal on/off. Anyone here have any insight. I know this is probably the wrong forum but thought it might be worth an ask. Heck maybe there are some fellow arduino enthusiasts around here. they seem to be popular in the academic circles around responsive architectural systems. 

Jun 10, 16 12:23 pm

I can't help you, but I like the conceptual idea ... a physical manifestation of idiomatic expressions of 'wheels spinning,' 'gears turning,' or 'cranking something out.'

Jun 10, 16 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

^ EXACTLY 

Jun 10, 16 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-CPURAM-usage-monitor-LCD/

Jun 10, 16 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Helpful anonitect, but his instructable seems to be lacking the download. it's that little VB program that sends data to the serial port that I need to figure out how to write. 

Jun 10, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I also found this: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=171114.0 Not really what I'm looking for but might give me what I need to make it happen. Maybe I rethink this concept to just be something that kicks on when I'm over a certain CPU / RAM threshold. 

I think some physical motion will go along way towards showing there is actual work being done while i'm doing other things too. like writing on this forum while Revit crunches. 

This all came about because someone in my office asked what I was doing while I was running a long dynamo script. Kinda just looked like i was sitting there browsing the web. the script doesn't really make anything pretty but it does makes rooms aware of the area they are in as drawn by a Rentable Area Plan. This allows me to read the BOMA Area in a room tag and control unit numbering, naming, ADA type ect. from one location across all plans, enlarged plans and sections.

Jun 10, 16 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: