Archinect
anchor

Vancouver Architecture

hmatt94

I have just completed my part 1 degree in Dublin and am moving to Vancouver in September. I was wondering what the process and likely hood of gaining an internship is like and also what programmes are generally used over there. Also, if anyone knows of any firms that tend to take on interns for an extended period of time, please let me know. I have found a few but am finding it difficult as I am not too familiar with the architectural culture of the are.

Jun 9, 16 2:02 pm
chris-chitect

I graduated from UBC in 2010 when the economy wasn't so great. It's quite a bit stronger now with loads and loads of job openings all the time. Check out the aibc career listings. I left the field ages ago. I see more and more about Revit, probably like anywhere else. 

The architecture itself in the city is pretty awful, but is improving. It's mostly just high rise low quality condos, but some big names are starting to do projects in the city like Bjarke. There are a few really cool projects. I would try to focus on a firm that does more civic architecture as Vancouver is a little more progressive on that front than housing. 

I'm sure you've done some research but Vancouver has the most expensive real estate in the country, is one of the least affordable cities in the world, and has the lowest wages of a major Canadian city. 

Jun 9, 16 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
good details

Revit, Rhino, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite are the most common programs.  You can sign up to be on the mailing list for AIBC job postings (I think they are emailed out every Tuesday or Thursday). 

The good thing about coming in September is you can swoop in when firms have their summer interns leaving. 

Jun 9, 16 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
good details

Revit, Rhino, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite are the most common programs.  You can sign up to be on the mailing list for AIBC job postings (I think they are emailed out every Tuesday or Thursday). 

The good thing about coming in September is you can swoop in when firms have their summer interns leaving. 

· 
good details

· 
good details

God damn, sorry for the triple post.  Tethered laptop is going crazy.

chris-chitect: Are you still in Vancouver?  What are you doing now if you don't mind me asking?

Jun 9, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

They used to be posted first thing tuesday morning's on their website but are now e-mailed through the week it seems. It definitely is a busy time in Vancouver so no shortage.

I'm still in Vancouver, well I'm in the suburb of Coquitlam. I use my architecture skills to design and layout roller coasters and thrill rides. It's way more fun.

Jun 9, 16 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: