Archinect
anchor

Would like help figuring out what options I have in getting a M. Arch I

LAEuphoria

I'm returning to school to finish up a B.A at 29. I decided on finishing something up quick and am choosing to graduate with an Anthropology degree.

At this point, with one year left to graduate, I am looking into architecture (more so than I have in the past).

From what I understand, you can get a masters degree in architecture without having gone through a Bachelors in Architecture program. (?)

Being that I would like to return to Europe and eventually become a citizen (lived in Denmark for a year and have visited several other times), I was wondering if there were any possibilities of attending school out there. Ideally, Scandinavia or France would be of particular interest to me but I'm open.

Any information at all to get the ball rolling would be of tremendous help! :]

Thanks for reading.

Jun 7, 16 3:54 pm
Non Sequitur

Yes, plenty of schools take non arch students into their graduate programs. It's up to you to find out if they are accredited in the jurisdiction you'd eventually like to practice and work towards a license.

But given your cavalier attitude towards post-secondary education, perhaps you should think harder about the nature of the profession (ie. what architects actually do) and difficulties of the typical M.arch. It's a long road and plenty of people ignorantly  throw themselves into the profession due to false and romantic aspirations.

Please note that you'll most likely require a stellar entrance portfolio, decent grades, and professional recommendation letters as part of your application.

Jun 7, 16 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
LAEuphoria

@Non Sequitur

Thank you for your reply. I've recently contacted an old friend who graduated from Sci-Arch and is now a practicing architect and teacher, for some guidance.

I am however having trouble pinpointing the "nature of the profession" that I keep reading about on sites like these. If you/anyone could link me to some material or briefly explain to me what I am to expect out of this career I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Jun 7, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nature of the profession:

Building design and construction is not the romantic, unicorn filled free-for-all-design orgy plenty of people think it. Sure, there is the opp for creativity, esp for talented individuals, but one has to know how to put buildings together properly and coordinate with consultants, contractors and clients to be successful. Until you're "up-there" calling the shots, it's more hard-science than it is about sitting in a hippy circle discussing abstract design concepts.

the point is, don't jump into this blindly.

Jun 7, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
LAEuphoria

I understand and do need to heed your warning.

It reminds me of an experience I had 10 years ago. My senior project in high school was on architecture. My mentor for the project was a man by the name of Nonchi Wang who sat me on a computer next to his desk and had me make copies of shapes in a cad program. It was the most boring thing I could have imagined being used to art and photography classes. But he said that architecture is not just drawing.

Is that part of the deal you're talking about?

Since then however I've dealt with a lot of different processes and mingled in several fields from the service industry to product development, film making, and entrepreneurial pursuits; a lot of my artistic side has been tempered by exposure to business. Since my early 20's I've stepped out of the pot-smoke filled rooms where we'd talk about making bohemian communes and making "free art" to actually being a rigorous planner and a rather disciplined self starter.

Through all these experiences I've learned that I like wearing different hats. 

Living in Scandinavia where their society somehow eases the struggle of survival to the point where they don't necessarily rely on the arts as an outlet for pain I see a beauty in design. Design is functional and is beautiful in its functionality.

I'm going to try and talk to as many architects as I can about their experiences.

Thanks

Jun 7, 16 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: