Archinect
anchor

Lack of Reason

RTVSkaarchitecture

Architecture is a matter of life & death.  Unlike the sciences, it is an integration of imagination & engineering.  Try building a motor in a rainforest, try sleeping in Griffith Park.  Architecture protects us from the elements, from animals, from man.  It protects our property, it protects our bodies.  Architecture, unlike the sciences, besides large particle accelerators which can be kilometers long or wide, is permanent.  Architecture uses fuel to be built, both in the machines that construction workers use and their bodies.  You think I have made an error?  That architects don’t need machines?  What about the shipment of parts?  Try building a skyscraper without a helicopter or a crane.  Try building a skyscraper without steel, cement or concrete, glass, wood, all at a site.  The role of architecture is to provide shelter, on grounds of which there are a finite amount.  The role of science is to find solutions to problems, in biology-to new situations; in physic-to extend our reach or to prolong our ability to take action.  A role of architecture is to organize industry.  How can industry be built without space available for architecture?  That’s the key- you suicidal animals(I’m not going to kill you)-you can’t.  I am speaking to the zero, because every time you default to build the best building one can- you destroy a purpose-each time you destroy a purpose you destroy a life- each time you destroy a life you destroy life.  Do not say that a scientist can build a mine where there is a sprawling mansion, which failed to rise out of the dirt because of the engineering inability of its architect, the tyranny of government keeping capable minds out of the field.  You cannot escape the fact that A=A. 

Now you probably say that life succeeds.  This is a contradiction.  Life has certain requirements it needs to stay alive.  When deprived of food, the body loses matter.  This is an established fact.  You probably want me now to comment of the existence of death. 

To create in this world, this one, man must take action.  This means he must see different places.  Do not pretend that man has not a body, he has.  This means that if you deprive a man of a bathroom he will go to the bathroom on the ground.  If he is caught by the police going to the bathroom on the ground, he will be arrested.  A man cannot take action while he is in a jail cell.  There are independents, and there are dependents.  A parapalegyc cannot mine for the copper he needs to build a motor he needs to move the water to water the plants he needs for sustenance, so the parapalegyc is a dependent.  Do not pretend that there are people who have not minds.  It is true, there are men who cannot read the hands of a clock, never learned how to read books, will never be able to equate two similar values as two or reason that two plus one equals two.  Now you probably want me to skip the part that a man without a mind is a dependant.  I am not.

To stand, a building doesn’t have to be beautiful, it doesn’t have to have a particular shape (disregarding physical forces), it doesn’t have to have sculptures of vultures or corner windows.  To understand how to build, a man doesn’t need to know history of architecture, or lettering, or be told his buildings are correct, or good.  To understand how to build one must grasp structural engineering.  Now you probably want me to elaborate on what structural engineering in regards to architecture means.  I will, because if you have asked this question you deserve pain: architecture must withstand gravity, must withstand lateral loads due to moving fluids, must be calibrated for expanding or shrinking materials, and if the case may be, calibrated for seismic, soil mechanics.  To teach a person architectural engineering, and you now probably want me to say I equivocated, that structural engineering of buildings is not architectural engineering, I scoff at thee, if I hear you say this, you do not need five years, or do you?  Cornell teaches its structural classes for the b.arch in 2.5 years, this is the quickest I have seen, yet I saw no course on soil mechanics.  For some reason, at all the state schools I looked, the courses on structural spanned from 3-5 years.  This is the anemia of the state.  It’s time to applaud Cornell if they teach soil mechanics embedded in one of their courses, for being faster than, as I would expect, the state.  Do not pretend if you have never seen the strength of a caternary that you know what it is.  You have to see it done to believe it or you are as blind as a person who believes in god just because his preacher says.

A building must be as economical as possible, in two ways-in its ground space that it takes, and the plentifulness of materials it uses.  No two materials are the same, they each have different structural and thermodynamic and luminous properties.  In any building, one material is BETTER than another.  If you take two buildings of the same shape…If you’re still following me, keep listening, this may be an affirmation of who you are (as you are what you do).

A building, like when you take any natural resource (but a building to a greater degree) is a duty.  In areas where it is illegal to use the ground as a bathroom, the architect and the owner have a duty to provide PAY-TO-USE bathrooms that are as cheap as can be without sacrificing the provider.

You want my rules?  Never make a shape of a building that has no purpose.  If you need decoration, get it from the dump to accentuate the shape of the building.

It’s not just architecture where there is a problem, people are starving in this world, people are dying from dehydration, from disease.  If a scientist who has no ability takes the education away from a scientist who would achieve something with an education, they have taken a gift away from the whole world, if the hypothetical man who would have achieved would have been kind enough to give it.  But he wouldn’t have to give it, just as you don’t have to follow these rules, but remember the fact you cannot get away from the contradiction that man has rules he must live  by to survive, that there are abilitied and leeches, and that the leech is not a creator.

Jun 5, 16 12:12 pm
x-jla

I'm not really sure what you are saying?  

As far as the statement that "architecture is a matter of life and death" I would disagree.  Shelter is a matter of life and death.  Cooks are necessary to survival, chefs are necessary to culture.   Architects are the chefs of the built environment.  

Jun 5, 16 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Did I just read a manifesto?

Jun 5, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I read your post again since I just skimmed through it the first time...it's bat shit crazy.  I would recommend seeing a psychologist.  Your writing is schizophrenic.  Either that or I am too dumb to make sense of your eccentric writing style...

Jun 5, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x,

You're not too dumb but I am with you in not making any of it. I might blame the hot weather we had recently but that would be just an excuse but a good one at least, mind ya.

Jun 5, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i would blame the recreational drugs the poster chose to take before posting

Jun 5, 16 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

It's like every Balkins post

Jun 5, 16 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Lack of Reason

Well, I agree with the title.

Jun 5, 16 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

now this is special.

Jun 5, 16 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

poop876,

Jun 6, 16 12:51 am  · 
 · 
That's professional.
Jun 6, 16 8:29 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

The Ayn Rand spell will fade in a few years.  Trust me.

Jun 6, 16 9:16 am  · 
 · 

Josh,

I'm not playing this one sided game where I alone have to act professional but none of you. 

If I have to and the rest of you aren't. Then everyone of you shall be banned from ever having an architect license, your architecture degrees revoked and those who do have their license have them revoked and you're all banned from any architecture forum or engaging this profession for the rest of your lives.

If you're going to insist this game then this is to apply to all of you. 

One slip up, one failure to conduct yourself professionally from that point forward, you kiss this career good bye along with licensing and practicing as an architect. One strike, your out. 

If you are going to hold me to such professional standard so will all of you on this forum.

Is that the game of chance you all want to play?

Jun 6, 16 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^  Again: you said you were leaving, never to return.

Jun 6, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

I hope you all choose a path of casual civility. In that game of chance, professionalism would be held to the absolute highest standards ever. Higher than any other standard ever applied anywhere in the world ever in history.

Is that something you can really hold yourselves to? In our undisciplined American culture?

I don't think so.

Jun 6, 16 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

citizen, 

Some day in the future that will happen. The forum may or may not exist forever but nor is any singular human life time.

Jun 6, 16 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

That was one of the most presumptuous, least coherent rambles I've ever read on this forum. 

"Now you probably want me to.." No, I don't.

Jun 6, 16 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The op is nuts

Jun 6, 16 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

whenever I see something like this, I just have to assume that it came from some deep dark corner of the interwebs where somebody wrote a program similar to this:

http://765.blogspot.com/2007/08/architecture-manifesto-generator.html

either that, or the op is, indeed, insane...

Jun 6, 16 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

just realized that the article I linked was re-posting an archinect post.  how meta...

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/62949

Jun 6, 16 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

here's another good one:

http://www.objectivechance.com/automatic_insurrection

Jun 6, 16 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

You want my rules?  Never make a shape of a building that has no purpose.  If you need decoration, get it from the dump to accentuate the shape of the building.

Oh please bitch.

Go read a bit of Sam Harris (Free Will) and then come back to this.

Everything has a reason, and that reason has nothing to do with you, or me, or that fairy in skirt most of the idiot phenomenologists here call god.

Jun 6, 16 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^nice Harris reference drop there Null.

Jun 6, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins, you can't hold yourself to any standard. Delete your account immediately and surrender yourself to the OBAE for sentencing.
Jun 6, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Also, the OP should probably transfer out of Cornell. Sounds like he has major cabin fever. And it's already summer.
Jun 6, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x, thanks for not diving into an off tangent. I'm going through this painful and agonizing  analysis of the OP.

Architecture is a matter of life & death.  Unlike the sciences, it is an integration of imagination & engineering. 

Okay. I think we understand the health, safety and welfare risks with building of any type, size, etc. No one argues about the integration of the art  and science (engineering is applied science by the way) in architecture. 

Try building a motor in a rainforest, try sleeping in Griffith Park. 

I'm sure you can if you know how to do the processes from raw material to the needed components to build a motor. This what we are doing all the time. We take material extracted in the world and go through processes to transform it to what we need. This is how we got here. As for sleeping in Griffith Park, what the hell does that have to do with anything It is very possible to sleep there when the weather is good. As for the park authorities allowing you to sleep there is another matter that I won't get into as that is for legal/regulatory reasons.

Architecture protects us from the elements, from animals, from man. 

From the elements, I am sure it does that to some defined level. As for animals, that it may to some degree. As for other people, it may or may not but that is by far a lesser degree than the other unless you are talking about high security facilities that are designed to keep unauthorized persons out.

It protects our property, it protects our bodies. 

Up to a point but architecture is property so we are talking the services of design professionals for resilience. I agree, that is important. This is in part of what building codes address as well as general human health and sanitation condition standards.

Architecture, unlike the sciences, besides large particle accelerators which can be kilometers long or wide, is permanent. 

Architecture is a field of art and science. I don't get your issue of sciences. The science aspect of architecture is often an applied science application but it involves it. Architecture is in ways interdisciplinary. The tangible application of architecture all have life cycles and some buildings have shorter life cycle in use while others are more long term permanence. I just don't get this line of thought, yet.

Architecture uses fuel to be built, both in the machines that construction workers use and their bodies. 

Everything uses fuel. Fuel means a source of energy. Whether the energy source comes from fossil fuel or fuel source including stored solar energy, it is still fuel for energy. Remember Physics 101, 102, and 103? This is general physics stuff.

You think I have made an error?  That architects don’t need machines?  What about the shipment of parts?  Try building a skyscraper without a helicopter or a crane.  Try building a skyscraper without steel, cement or concrete, glass, wood, all at a site. 

You are lost in your rambling and now I don't know where you are trying to go with this thought. This is just in the first paragraph.

The role of architecture is to provide shelter, on grounds of which there are a finite amount.  The role of science is to find solutions to problems, in biology-to new situations; in physic-to extend our reach or to prolong our ability to take action. 

The role of architecture evolves with the needs of society. Architects are trained to be creative problem solvers in the domain of built inhabited structures. Architecture is interdisciplinary involving multiples domains of knowledge areas. 

A role of architecture is to organize industry.  How can industry be built without space available for architecture?  That’s the key- you suicidal animals(I’m not going to kill you)-you can’t.  I am speaking to the zero, because every time you default to build the best building one can- you destroy a purpose-each time you destroy a purpose you destroy a life- each time you destroy a life you destroy life.  Do not say that a scientist can build a mine where there is a sprawling mansion, which failed to rise out of the dirt because of the engineering inability of its architect, the tyranny of government keeping capable minds out of the field.  You cannot escape the fact that A=A. 

I am not sure about organizing industry but how work in a sort of function-form tango, a dance of function and form. I hope I didn't lose everyone in my allegory or metaphor. But the concept does not need to be explained. 

I'm confused by the rest of this paragraph.

Now you probably say that life succeeds.  This is a contradiction.  Life has certain requirements it needs to stay alive.  When deprived of food, the body loses matter.  This is an established fact.  You probably want me now to comment of the existence of death. 

Okay, Captain Obvious. Now you say we want you to now comment on the existence of death? No we said nothing. However, you have to understand that death of biological form is food in the life cycle of life. Death of body is biological fertilizer or food for new life. I'm not sure I understanding your point still.

To create in this world, this one, man must take action.  This means he must see different places.  Do not pretend that man has not a body, he has.  This means that if you deprive a man of a bathroom he will go to the bathroom on the ground.  If he is caught by the police going to the bathroom on the ground, he will be arrested.  A man cannot take action while he is in a jail cell.  There are independents, and there are dependents.  A parapalegyc cannot mine for the copper he needs to build a motor he needs to move the water to water the plants he needs for sustenance, so the parapalegyc is a dependent.  Do not pretend that there are people who have not minds.  It is true, there are men who cannot read the hands of a clock, never learned how to read books, will never be able to equate two similar values as two or reason that two plus one equals two.  Now you probably want me to skip the part that a man without a mind is a dependant.  I am not.

What are you trying to say? Did you know that modern American jail cells often have a toilet? Before they did that, in-mates would piss on the wall and shit on the floor.

You can move water by gravity. A lot of materials naturally exists but this modern world wasn't built on the acts of a single person. A paraplegic person knows his or her physical limits but he or she may have knowledge to direct other people that have the physical capacity to mine the work. Yes, they are dependent on others. We all are.

You don't build a skyscraper by yourself. You don't move a 24" x 36" x 30-ft. long beam by yourself. You are dependent on others. There is a social world. You can't do everything in your life and live in a world entirely on your own. We know that. A man with a mind is a dependent to some degree.

To stand, a building doesn’t have to be beautiful, it doesn’t have to have a particular shape (disregarding physical forces), it doesn’t have to have sculptures of vultures or corner windows.  To understand how to build, a man doesn’t need to know history of architecture, or lettering, or be told his buildings are correct, or good. 

Okay but even beauty itself is a subjective term on subjective criteria. How do you define the criteria of beauty. It might be different than what someone else may have.

To understand how to build one must grasp structural engineering. 

Just so you know, structural engineering is applied physics. So a grasp of physics, the foundation of how structural engineering and structural mechanics are built upon is needed. Understanding of fundamentals like center of gravity, shapes and forms that are stable with lateral movements and other imposed or applied forces besides that of the force of gravity (weight of its own components). 

Now you probably want me to elaborate on what structural engineering in regards to architecture means. 

Ugh! No, not really. 

I will, because if you have asked this question you deserve pain: architecture must withstand gravity, must withstand lateral loads due to moving fluids, must be calibrated for expanding or shrinking materials, and if the case may be, calibrated for seismic, soil mechanics. 

You subject us to it anyway. Whether or not we asked this question.

To teach a person architectural engineering, and you now probably want me to say I equivocated, that structural engineering of buildings is not architectural engineering, I scoff at thee, if I hear you say this, you do not need five years, or do you?  Cornell teaches its structural classes for the b.arch in 2.5 years, this is the quickest I have seen, yet I saw no course on soil mechanics. 

Remember, courses at university is taught at the rate of the class and the instructor/professor not at the rate of the individual students. What if you can learn it in a single year. Lets remember that you are taking other courses in that same 2.5 year time frame. What you learned in that time, a dedicated structural engineering program would have taught what was taught there in 2 terms or 2/3 of an academic year. Yet, a person who has self discipline of learning and the will power to working through the course curriculum in 3 times the average rate, could very well learn it in 6 to 7 weeks. A typical full-time enrollment assumes you spending about the equivalent of a full-time employment for 30-35 weeks of the years but don't forget you have all those other hours of the day and also about another 3 months available to learn that is the winter and summer break for many of the schools.

For some reason, at all the state schools I looked, the courses on structural spanned from 3-5 years.  This is the anemia of the state.  It’s time to applaud Cornell if they teach soil mechanics embedded in one of their courses, for being faster than, as I would expect, the state.  Do not pretend if you have never seen the strength of a caternary that you know what it is.  You have to see it done to believe it or you are as blind as a person who believes in god just because his preacher says.

It spans 3-5 years because you are learning other stuff concurrently. If you want to master everything, you need a hell of a lot more than 100 years to master it all.

A building must be as economical as possible, in two ways-in its ground space that it takes, and the plentifulness of materials it uses.  No two materials are the same, they each have different structural and thermodynamic and luminous properties.  In any building, one material is BETTER than another.  If you take two buildings of the same shape…If you’re still following me, keep listening, this may be an affirmation of who you are (as you are what you do).

Yeah. I'm sure to some extent there is no disagreement there. I am also sure at a certain point, there will be disagreements.

A building, like when you take any natural resource (but a building to a greater degree) is a duty.  In areas where it is illegal to use the ground as a bathroom, the architect and the owner have a duty to provide PAY-TO-USE bathrooms that are as cheap as can be without sacrificing the provider.

Okay. I'm not sure what the intended point is.

Some of us do to some extent still follow some principles of form follows function.

There are non-Physics purpose for aesthetics. There is social and psychological parameters including cultural and architectural context that factors in.

It’s not just architecture where there is a problem, people are starving in this world, people are dying from dehydration, from disease.  If a scientist who has no ability takes the education away from a scientist who would achieve something with an education, they have taken a gift away from the whole world, if the hypothetical man who would have achieved would have been kind enough to give it.  But he wouldn’t have to give it, just as you don’t have to follow these rules, but remember the fact you cannot get away from the contradiction that man has rules he must live  by to survive, that there are abilitied and leeches, and that the leech is not a creator.

There are problems in the world that takes military force to resolve. In other cases, there are people living in places not geographically (environmentally) suitable. There are places suited for population and there is places not. There is a lot of reasons that goes back through long understanding of history of places, cultures, politics, conflicts, etc.

A person may not be equipped with the knowledge and skills to resolve certain issues. There are things that as architects of buildings, we can't fix it ourselves. We aren't soldiers going there to kill of dictators and horrible regimes. Are we? Maybe some of us but not all of us. There are some tasks suitable for diplomats trained in diplomacy. We aren't necessarily trained or skilled in those areas. 

Yes, we all consume but for god sake there are things that some of us are not in any position to change. Some of us like to go home and see our families instead of getting shot and killed. A dead man can't save or solve the world's problems (world of human induced/imposed problems).

Jun 6, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even coming close to elaborating all the issues.

Jun 6, 16 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
"There are things that as architects of buildings, we can't fix it ourselves."

RWCB are you calling yourself an architect? You should know better than that. Also, please delete your account immediately.
Jun 6, 16 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

Rick,

You keep proving that you don't have what it takes to be an architect, yet alone a "Building Designer". Please stop.

And you shouldn't want to not act professionally. Why attack someone when this is a message board? It's one thing to call someone out for what they said/did wrong especially when it potentially endangers lives... it is quite another to tell everyone to kiss you ass, f**k off, and post gifs of Chris Pratt flipping the bird. Imagine if Chris Pratt flipped the bird to the velociraptors. They would have destroyed him.

#raptors4lyfe

Jun 6, 16 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

You are lost in your rambling and now I don't know where you are trying to go with this thought.

You subject us to it anyway. Whether or not we asked this question.

Okay. I'm not sure what the intended point is.

I'm confused by the rest of this paragraph.

I am putting these on my clipboard.

Jun 6, 16 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

That was one of the most presumptuous, least coherent rambles I've ever read on this forum. 

I stand corrected.

Jun 6, 16 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

Rick,

You keep proving that you don't have what it takes to be an architect, yet alone a "Building Designer". Please stop.

And you shouldn't want to not act professionally. Why attack someone when this is a message board? It's one thing to call someone out for what they said/did wrong especially when it potentially endangers lives... it is quite another to tell everyone to kiss you ass, f**k off, and post gifs of Chris Pratt flipping the bird. Imagine if Chris Pratt flipped the bird to the velociraptors. They would have destroyed him.

This is a web forum. Almost everybody here acts unprofessional like a bunch of jerks. ~90% of the active people on this forum acts like unprofessional jerks often. This had been going on long before I was here. 

Granted, you have a good point acting more professional but that should be directed to everyone here not just me. Singling out me or any one person is bullshit. That said, I'd be willing to conduct myself in a more professional manner if others are also going to be upholding themselves to a professional manner as well. If it is just me, what's the point. 

Jun 6, 16 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Testes 1, 2, 3. Ballskins.
Jun 6, 16 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

Missing my entire point Balkins. 

Jun 6, 16 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Josh,

You're right, I should take the high road. Some of these twits aren't worth a response.

Jun 6, 16 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins delete your account immediately. None of us meet your high standard of care and professionalism. You're just too talented and ethical.
Jun 6, 16 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Ithaca is a lovely place this time of year- buses are tuning up for the wine tour season and local hard liquor is made close by as the op has presumably discovered. Btw, geotechnical/civil is in another college, perhaps another contract- you just need to walk further.

Jun 6, 16 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
Ithaca is gorges.
Jun 6, 16 9:12 pm  · 
 · 

NICE, JOSH.

Oops, was CADding. Marc have you read Fool On The Hill by Matt Ruff? It takes place at Cornell and it's a really fun magical sort of book. Definitely a book by a recent grad feeling nostalgic and romantic about his campus. Later books by him are Sewer, Gas & Electric which was demented and very urban, and my favorite Bad Monkeys.

Jun 6, 16 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

I'll look for it.

Jun 6, 16 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I didn't have time to respond as I was actually WORKING!

Jun 7, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

I was like that ages ago, then I had to deal with engineers and consultants on a daily basis.

Jun 8, 16 9:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: