Archinect
anchor

Indoor/outdoor rooms in cold climates?

gentle puppies

I can't think of any precedents off the top of my head.  Project site is a community centre in Toronto.  The only outdoor spaces used in the colder months all seem to be wrapped in glass/plastic and with heat lamps galore...

Jun 2, 16 4:28 pm
chatter of clouds

you could argue that 'ice architecture' is pretty much an outside yet Inside space :) you're still outside with the ice and snow around you, a natural pocket of warmth...or less cold at least.

Jun 2, 16 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

and of course, it all disappears when its warm again and you get your open open space again

Jun 2, 16 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

gentle,

Look at the competition entries for the beaches in Toronto.

Also look at the "Olmsted's Blank Snow" project in Buffalo.

Definitely look at the entires for the Warming Huts Competition in Winnepeg.

Jun 2, 16 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Can you expand on what you mean by indoor/outdoor rooms? Cold climate generally means that one is very separated from the other. Thanks to the new energy code, there's not a lot of wiggle room to play with any more.

Jun 2, 16 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I've worked on the warning huts in Winnipeg as well as the adjacent frozen pop-up restaurant, which is heated. Might be able to answer any questions if you're interested. This year they even did that restaurant up in Churchill, something like 64 degrees of latitude, in March. Cooooold. (I didn't go, but my wife did.)

Jun 2, 16 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
lepaulez

https://www.facebook.com/Healt...

Mar 1, 18 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: