Archinect
anchor

Is it possible to design for a city you have never been to (competition) ?

Deri

Ola everyone!

I have a question to anyone with experience who can be of help. Is it possible for one to design architecture for a city you have never been to? 

It is part of a competition, I have been to the country but not it's urban hub... so I have a good idea of the place as a whole. Using google maps and other research, can I design for this city? Or would it be ill informed?

Thank you, happy architecturing! 

Jun 2, 16 3:03 am
x-jla

Depends...Id say usually no. 

Jun 2, 16 4:34 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

its possible and might sometimes be better as you would not be entrenched in the culture as much and therefore slightly liberated from assumptions on design options.

Jun 2, 16 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Totally is possible. Our resident design guru mr. Dick Balkarinottsky designs for any and all cities while passionately claiming to never leave his parents suburban yard.
Jun 2, 16 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

It depends what your goal is. Cities are all mostly the same but have their differences, so if you intend to fit the context or respond to the personality of the city, I think you need to experience it in person. If, however, you want to create an eye-catching piece of livable sculpture but don't care how it relates to its environment, then who cares where it goes.

Jun 2, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 
RTVSkaarchitecture

I'm not an architect, but hell no you fucking idiot.

Jun 4, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Deri

Thank you for your feedback everyone. 

Jun 6, 16 6:04 am  · 
 · 

You could, but the design might lack the nuance that comes from understanding how people operate on a day to day basis. That being said, people do it all the time.

For a competition though you may be able to get by with a big idea and some slick renderings. It all depends on what you want to get from the experience. 

Jun 6, 16 8:53 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

people do it all the time.

it is responsible? no.

Jun 6, 16 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

yes, its possible and the design response is usually generic

Jun 8, 16 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: