Archinect
anchor

Undergraduate Degree in Advertising and Applying to MArch Programs

rmgraff

Hello everyone,

I am currently a student studying at the University of Southern Indiana.  My major is advertising, but architecture is something I aim to grab a hold of at the graduate level.  I will be graduating Fall 2016 with academic honors and other accolades.

I have been intrigued by architecture for many years.  Whether it was my time being a gopher on a construction sites or my woodworking hobby, I  am thankful I have the opportunity to apply to architectural graduate school.  With that said, I knew I had to do some things in order to build my resume up and create a portfolio for my application.  I took an autocad course for drafting and annotation.  I thoroughly enjoyed this class because the software made design much easier and more importantly fun.  Also, I signed up for woodworking courses.  In these classes, I created many original pieces from pencil all the way to 3-D manifestation.  Being in the studio was relaxing, and became a part of my life.  One of the pieces was placed in the annual student show and won.  

Just to understand my situation a little further, I have a 3.95 major GPA and received A's in all the classes I signed up to stand out on my architecture application.  I am active in two different groups on campus and  was a resident assistant,  Also, this summer I was hired to commercialize military patents in order to create jobs in the Evansville Area.  Finally, I have a great reference for my woodworking, academic work, and paid work.

This initial post does not encompass all everything I would believe could help me gain acceptance into a MArch program.  However, I was hoping someone could let me know whether they think getting into a MArch program right after my undergraduate degree is a possibility.  Also, if anyone has any questions that may help them understand my situation better or asses my reality, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Thank you

May 31, 16 7:10 pm
no_form

sounds like you're successful without architecture in your life.  buy a nice house in indianapolis and fill your garage up with tools to do woodworking.  

May 31, 16 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
rmgraff

Not the response I was looking for, but thank you for your consideration.

May 31, 16 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
hsk880

Do you mind sharing your portfolio?

May 31, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Architecture is a great education, sometimes not the best career but if the career is not what you want you have a lot to work with.

May 31, 16 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
rmgraff
hsk880 I am working with my art professor on my portfolio right now. It will have hand drawings, solidworks renderings, and the official woodworking piece. I can share a drawing and some photos of my pieces on here to get an idea of what I've done.

Beepbeep I want to work as an architect for a while, but being a professor is more important to me. Also, working in other fields related to architecture, which would be construction management and civil engineering, is more of a main goal to me after the MAch.
Jun 1, 16 9:01 am  · 
 · 
catiliu

Hi rmgraff ,

would you like to share your portfolio? I also want to apply for the architecture graduate school that without an architectural background.  

By the way, I am a civil engineering undergrad, construction management and civil engineering have nothing to do with MAch. If you really want to do CM/Civil engineering work, you should apply for the engineering school

Best Wishes 

Jun 13, 16 4:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: