Archinect
anchor

"Should I stay or should I go?": When to leave a position

bendita

I've moved to a new city for a job, which I started 6 months ago this week. I was looking to join a more collaborative studio, and participate in more exciting projects that also align with typologies I want experience in. 

Prior to this, I was experiencing a "baptism by fire" environment - I would learn new things everyday, and there was no week or month that I wouldn't be thrown in a situation that was new to me. I thrived on this energetic and fast-paced learning climate, and now find myself craving that. 

I find my current office has a very contempt team - benefits are great, work can be creatively exciting but most often is not, but all the more, I notice people seem to be stagnate here. There is little productivity to its true form, as well as little passion for the work. I find myself bored a lot. I fear that I am regressing from my first job.

I also know it's been very little time, and sometimes it takes a while to get used to a new environment. But, at the same time, if I thrived and was happy in a fast-paced firm, why am I in a slow-paced firm? I originally wanted to grow into an important role here, but am concerned about the lack of growth I see in myself for the past few months. 

When is it reasonable to leave a position that hasn't been satisfying? Is it too soon to judge? 

May 31, 16 11:09 am
senjohnblutarsky

Why did you leave your old job? 

May 31, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Start sniffing around for other opportunities.  Sounds like you made a big mistake leaving your old position but that's water under the bridge.  Try to identify current firms or situations that would resemble your old position.  Don't let yourself stagnate.

May 31, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

One way to take advantage of a slow, un-challenging environment is to undertake some self-directed learning. If you haven't yet completed the ARE, do that now. Same goes for the LEED exam.  

You may raise some eyebrows at potential employers if your resume shows you left a position after less than 1 year, but you really should start looking now.  Stagnant firms don't change or get better in my experience.

May 31, 16 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
bendita

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate it. 

I left because I felt that I had grown all I wanted to in that place, and it was time for a new and fresh environment. I recently finished my exams. 

That is my concern, that it will seem like little time. But when is it too little time? And what do we measure it against? It's hard to say. 

Jun 1, 16 7:26 am  · 
 · 
hotissue

I am going through the same thoughts right now. I feel you! I felt that I have learned as much as I can from my old firm and wanted to see how other opportunities will suit me. I am sure both firms have pros and cons but I feel like this firm was not what I was looking for and I don't know how long I should stay here. I was thinking 6 mths - 1 yr maximum although everyone is telling me "stay at least a year" for my resume. 

I am trying to get as much as I can out from this experience but still worried that I may not grow while I am here and that I may be wasting my time. It seems like a stable position with decent pay & benefits, but there is no growth and I will end up being a CAD monkey.

Jun 1, 16 10:53 am  · 
 · 
bendita

hotissue:

Thank you for your comment. I had a hunch this topic would be worthy of an Archinect Forum discussion!

I am also leaning towards "the one year precedent" - however I personally find that, if I was hiring someone, I would appreciate the fact that they stayed somewhere long enough to understand they are not a good fit and are ready to move on. I wonder if I am the only one who would appreciate this, given the social convention... 

Jun 1, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 
hotissue

@gb-a

True. That is the dilemma. It is best to stay at a firm for at least 2-3 yrs before moving on but early in the career I want to think that there is so much to learn from different firms. I wanted to stay at my old firm and level up as a job captain, but I really wanted to see how other firms would differ. Hopefully, I will have a chance to explain in my next interview as to why I have left this firm so soon...

Jun 1, 16 11:12 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'm dealing with this as well.

I received some advice that it is better to cut your losses and move on than stay for over a year. Really anything less than around 3 years at a job doesn't look great (especially since our projects take so long) so if you aren't going to make it that long, leave as soon as possible.

My last 3 jobs have been 7 months, 15 months and 38 months. The only one of those I'm really proud of is the 38 month long stint because i was actually there long enough to complete projects. 

Jun 1, 16 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

They need to make a public service ad similar to the one for gays where they say, "It gets better", only it is about architecture, and "It only get worse"....foreal!

Architects are glorified drafter in the eyes of the rest of the AEC field. Get use to it or get out.

I'd (I did) choose the latter, for it is a long road to misery in architecture, and a hard field to get out of once youre in it for sometime.

Jun 1, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
bayareabrut

If you don't have a lot going on there at work, I'd say that it can't hurt to apply to other positions. Know that you have some explaining to do, but there's no harm in applying to an interesting opportunity here and there. Just make sure you overemphasize in interviews exactly why you won't be doing the same at a new position 6 months down the road. Best of luck!

Jun 1, 16 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

I am not sure if you have ever heard of the mirror philosophy in psychology but have you already stopped to ask yourself if there is something within yourself that you don't like, which makes you want to leave? Do you fear complacency or becoming stagnant in yourself?

Sometimes you are put on a journey for a reason. If the environment is not trial by fire, then I would imagine it is one where they focus on growing and building their staff in a more slow and steady approach. If you just finished your exams then that means you are on the path to licensing. Congrats! Do you want to continue working for others forever? What can you learn about their slow and steady approach which can help you to one day grow your own firm? Perhaps they hired you because they saw that enthusiasm in you which they felt their environment lacked. New blood can bring a new perspective and maybe you can outshine the others and this will be your chance to build and grow in new ways. Even when you have your own firm, there will be moments when your own staff are uninspired, what can you do to use your existing environment to test new ways to bring innovation, growth and enthusiasm back to your new workplace?

Jun 3, 16 3:10 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Sounds like you didn't research your new job which is not a good reflection on you.  The bulk of the work getting built work isn't very exciting, but thoughtful design through the tedium is a very valuable thing to be able to do.  That being said, there's nothing like being around people you enjoy working with - the best jobs are the ones you make actual friends at.

Early on your career it's ok to bounce around a bit (3~5 jobs at 1~2 yrs each might be ok), but understand that you don't really 'move up' in experience.  For most firms until you've gone through several projects from front to end, you haven't gotten much experience beyond 0~3 yr bracket.  There are plenty of people with 10+ yrs of experience that are stuck there because they moved too frequently.  The 'stay at least 3 yrs' advice is on the assumption that the person has selected firms to work for thoughtfully and has made an effort to learn as much as they can at each job.  With project schedules as they are, anything less than 3 yrs screams 'bailed out on the project team'.  Team players are important on large jobs, particularly as your responsibilities increase.

Commonly accepted reasons for leaving on short term are abusive environments (long hours, grossly underpaid, harassment), family/personal concerns, or school.  Otherwise employers will be weary of taking you on on fear of leaving too soon (it usually takes a few months for someone to adjust to an office and another year or so to get efficient enough at the work).  That is to say, stable firms with people who stay longer will be less likely to take you on (and in my opinion those are the best work environments).

Jun 3, 16 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: