Archinect
anchor

can you deduct travel expenses to see exemplary architectural works?

Koww

If I travel to Ronchamp for example, for the sole purpose of seeing architecture, and I work in the architecture industry, is there any tax benefit?

May 30, 16 5:06 pm
Non Sequitur

...no

What a dumb question: Seeking tax deduction for vacation expenses.

First world problem, amIright?

May 30, 16 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I certainly do. Why do you ask?

Jun 26, 17 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Left your sense of humour in the lobby of the NYC trump tower I presume.

Jun 26, 17 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Wish I could deduct my trip to Norway and Iceland in September. That would be the best.
May 30, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

Why is it a dumb question? I know you can deduct things like conferences, workshops, etc.

May 30, 16 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

I'm no tax attorney but this seems like it falls in this category

Qualifying Work-Related Education

You can deduct the costs of qualifying work-related education as business expenses. This is education that meets at least one of the following two tests.

• The education is required by your employer or the law to keep your present salary, status, or job. The required education must serve a bona fide business purpose of your employer.

• The education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work.

May 30, 16 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you can deduct travel expenses for looking for a job/going to an interview right?  just go on an interview while you're there.

May 30, 16 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It's not a dumb question, just the wrong place to ask it.  I'd check the discussion board at Accountanect.com... or its equivalent.  A good tax preparer will know.

May 30, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
I did when I went to Norway in 2011, but that was a research fellowship I received while in school so my out of pocket expenses counted as education expenses (or at least the IRS didn't say anything about it)
May 30, 16 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

If no interview make a couiple of office visits and drop off your resume...

May 30, 16 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

isn't paying taxes unamerican anyway?

May 30, 16 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

No, americans have been paying taxes for generations.  The money goes to support the government, military, infrastructure, and lots of other stuff.  Avoiding taxes is unpatriotic.

May 31, 16 7:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Woooo, avoiding taxes and adult responsibilities!

May 31, 16 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so, can I deduct beer related costs then?

Jun 26, 17 10:48 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Koww:

The answer is yes, but be prepared to fight the IRS if you get audited. Most idiots here know shit about taxes. I'd fight tooth and nail to justify that deduction.

I'm taking a big vacation abroad and pro-rating every moment of wakefulness against all time spent in architectural tours, then pro-rating all expenditures and deducting the architectural research portion of my vacation.

May 31, 16 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Be a little smarter about it: travel around a conference, visit architecture and meet architects or clients during your off days.  

May 31, 16 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

Do a little of what Janosh says and you'll be fine. 

I'd do it. Not a dumb question.

Jun 1, 16 8:52 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'd deduct every last cent. Take pictures. Bam, done, you have visual documentation which is important for your professional development. 

Unless you run a business you shouldn't worry about getting audited.

If you work in an office with normal payroll taxes and can file using a 1040 ez, there is a minuscule chance you will ever be audited.

If you run a business, be more careful, but in this instance it actually provides more legitimate reasons to take such a deduction.

Jun 1, 16 10:08 am  · 
 · 
ColorBlindArchitect

I've written off several trips abroad, but I did it as a business expense. I'm not sure how it would work on personal taxes. 

The secret for fighting an audit: Documentation. Take tours of historic architecture and keep the receipts for the tour guides. EVERYTHING you spend is a deduction. 

Jun 25, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I have a book about taxes for small businesses that has this exact example in it.  The book says that the architect can deduct any expenses that are directly related to his professional research, but not any side trips for leisure.  If the trip is for mixed purposes then he's supposed to prorate his travel and lodging expenses so he's only deducting that percentage of the time during the trip that is dedicated to his work.  Family members' expenses can't be deducted (unless the family member also works for the firm and is also traveling for business purposes).  The book advises keeping a diary that is essentially a time sheet of how all waking hours were spent, as documentation for audit purposes.

Jun 25, 17 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: