Archinect
anchor

Are there any NAAB accredited schools in Europe?

sia331

I's probably a long shot but I'm curious to know if there are any NAAB accredited schools in europe. what is the best way to go? Is it absolutely unrealistic to do schooling in Europe graduate and get your license in N.A...? 

May 30, 16 3:24 pm
Non Sequitur

Sia, since I gather from your previous post that you may be Canadian, please search through this website for all accredited schools:

http://cacb.ca/en/cacb-accreditation/

It's totally possible to complete your education and return to north-america, although please note that it's difficult to adjust since construction, codes, practice laws, education standards etc can differ greatly. Most people who make the jump do so with an existing background/undergrad in architecture.

May 30, 16 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
sia331

HI Non Sequitur, 

I am from Canada, graduated from a Canadian University acquired a degree completely different from Architecture. Although people are suggesting that I find something else to study, I thought I should stick with what I have passion for, (it may or may not have to do with romanticizing the discipline).

Planning to do schooling in Europe then acquire a license either in Canada / U.S. Preferred cities _ Seattle  / NYC / Vancouver after graduating... Wondering if I should begin my schooling in N.A for a year then do a study of broad for a period of time then come back and finish the degree or to finish a degree first then go to another school in EU.

More research is required, but it's  hard to glean all the information I need when deadlines are nearing and when I'm still unsure what is best for the future/ eduction. Probably more discreet because this is my second degree...

Thanks for your input, it really helps.... 

May 30, 16 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Consider applying for a 3.5year M.Arch in a Canadian university that offers an abroad studies program. Carleton is one of them but please remember than competition is very fierce and having passion is one thing, building a suitable portfolio is another.

Plenty of people post here claiming to have passion (hence the flavour of most responses) but very little to zero know the educational and professional process required to even claim "intern architect" status... let alone chase a license in N.A.

May 30, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
sia331

I'm wondering what would be the decisive factor in getting in?  My GPA is not my forte ... and this is probably the most apprehensive matter with regards to  my application.

And also..are Canadian schools are easier/ more difficult to get into than those in the U.S. I can go either way ...

As for passion... I cant be ascertain whether I have the talent for it or not. But If my portfolio in any way indicates that I do and get it to a school that I have in mind, then I am ready to give it all I got. 

Thanks again for putting thoughts into my situation .. 

May 30, 16 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No worries. I'm swamped at the office so this is worth-while distraction.

GPA is used as a gate-keeper (minimum cut-off) and tie-breaker if needed. Portfolio, recommendations & letter of intent (if req) are what matter. Do you have a design or fine art portfolio?

I'm not sure what are the easiest schools, surely there are bottom of the barrel places in the US that'll accept anyone willing to pay tuition, but why aim so low? There is a little more competition in Canada for non native architecture students since, comparatively, there are fewer choices available. UBC, UofT, Carleton are the places I know that accept M.Arch candidates with any bachelors degree.

May 30, 16 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
sia331

Thanks Non sequitur I'll do further research on schools in Canada...and really think about what I step I want to take next. 

Thank you for thinking through this with me 

Sia 

Jun 1, 16 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: