Archinect
anchor

Is it worth it to study a postgrad degree at AA after having a M.Arch degree? Or go to do a PhD research instead?

Hi,

Just been wondering is it worth it to study a postgrad course at AA after having a M.Arch degree or go straight into a research PhD? 

What do you really get at AA's postgrad programs?

I graduated last year and have been working for over a year. I know I'm into research, esp. bio-archi fusion types or computational. Working in architectural office has been lackluster for me for some time now... Should I go back to the Academia realm and seek inner peace :( ?

May 30, 16 12:44 am
cosmo482

Hi.  I have found it difficult to get a research position in academia with the M.Arch.  Granted, NAAB accredited programs often stipulate the M.Arch as the minimum requirement for a professor position.  However, in the grand scheme of things, there are not that many architecture programs when compared to the sciences and humanities.  There are often teaching/research positions in architectural-related areas in non-architectural schools, but they will almost always require a PhD....they have no idea the meaning of a terminal master's degree.  If I had to do it over, I would never do the 4+3.5-year M.Arch...8 years for a masters degree is riducluous...I should have done the more traditional BS-MS-PhD.  The other issue is that if you do decide to do a PhD, not much of your M.Arch will transfer...it is a proprietary degree regulated by a dogmatic governing body.  Are you by chance a graduate of a 3.5-year program?

Jun 20, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: