Archinect
anchor

Looking for Portfolio Critique

Hello,

Thinking of re-constructing my portfolio for M.Arch Application. 

I've applied before, but did not get accepted into schools I wanted to go to. I was wondering if it would be because my portfolio isn't strong enough and would like to put it up in the public for some constructive criticism.

Any thoughts and critiques are welcome.

Thank you!

LINK: https://issuu.com/jenniferbai/docs/portfolio_hq_

May 28, 16 7:00 pm
SpatialSojourner

Here is my play-by-play going through your portfolio:

• I think that the cover is nice
  • The first renders are decent quality, the views are kind of static though but the project seems to have potential.
  • I think that the pages are too crowded - I prefer when there is large well done images, drawings or diagrams.
  • On page four, the render seems undercooked and the section overlaps awkwardly.  The drawings have a lot to be resolved... doors should swing against walls... maybe I would remove them?
  • Project 02 is aight, nothing really exciting.  The left page is a bit too crowded
  • Project 03 isn't represented well... I want some panache... I want a big image with the skyline like this but more desaturated.  It's a large skyscraper that I want to be excited about but the representation is boring me.  The big image is of a really long stair...
  • Project 04 is nice
  • Project 05 is nicely represented... I'd look at the layout and think about expanding the image on page 14
  • 06 is interesting but too cluttered

I think that you should take a look at this portfolio: https://issuu.com/ckurtin/docs/portfolio_landscape_2015
It's not my portfolio but I think that it is a well executed portfolio that seems to align with what you'd like to do

May 28, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
hsk880

@NiaHY 

Do you mind if I ask where are you applying to?

May 29, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

you should ask Y.T for advice. Ask for his HONEST opinion. Better to trust him than randoms on the internet. He is one of the few knowledgeable profs at Ryerson.

My thoughts on your portfolio is that it is a typical Ryerson portfolio.

May 29, 16 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Pages 12-17 are your best work. Move to beginning of portfolio. Remove
Cabbage theater. Keep hand drawings.
May 30, 16 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
NiaHY

@SpatialSojourner

Thank you for the critique, I'll look into the link you posted and continue working on my porfolio!

@hsk880

Thinking about M.Arch in Waterloo, UofT, M.Arch Part II in UCL but that is it so far. (Considering other schools in America but not sure right now what would be the best for me)

@MinimalCrazy

I'll go to YT! He was my 3rd year professor, good suggestion and thank you for the critique. What makes a typical Ryerson Portfolio?

@no_form 

Whats the reason for removing the Theater project? Too simple/not thought out? Would it be better if I revisited instead or just remove?

May 31, 16 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

the experiential section is so small and that it the most interesting part about the project.

i'd also remove the tower project, it's the same as any other anonymous office tower.  

i'd also rewrite your descriptions.  instead of telling people what the assignment was, just tell us what you did.  and don't use we.  it was your project and you made all the decisions.  

May 31, 16 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

its a ryerson portfolio because it is just the same as everyone else in the school. Some random condo projects, then the digital tools CNC, crystals, or lights so it looks somewhat pretty. Nothing really stands out, I can't really see design/skills progression over the years. There isn't much depth in the design or expression of thought process/exploration compared to the best portfolios I have ever seen. Ryerson is generally known for production/practicality, but your portfolio is also lacking in that realm. Sometimes if you are lucky, there are select professors which can really push you to do good work. One of the few is YT.There is a lot of work to be done to make this a good portfolio. Therefore, I recommended you to talk to a professor. But no worries, many students get into masters regardless of their portfolio. GPA and extracurriculars are what schools generally care about most.

I would remove projects 01, 02, 03, 07

Jun 5, 16 2:04 am  · 
 · 
Spoons

The writing needs work.  Your very first sentence doesn't make sense.  Your tenses change throughout each paragraph, very painful to read.

I don't know why the section awkwardly cuts through the rendering on the second page.  That rendering and those floor plans below it are not particularly strong.  

For the office tower project your rendering on the bottom of page 9 should probably be the main image you see on page 7.  The current one on page 7 is not as good and doesn't get me particularly excited to see the rest of that project.  The top rendering on page 7 tells you nothing about the project--it's super generic.  I would get rid of that image, move the overall tower one to the first page, and take the aerial context image and make it larger.  

Honestly, I think your portfolio would be better off if you only used pages 11-the end, and took those little drawings off the back cover.  If you have any more material for the project #5 on 13, I'd include it but only if it's to the same quality as the rest.  I'd take the best  tower rendering, and the first rendering of the theatre and put them into a separate section for renderings.  I would also then push project #5 to the front of the portfolio.  

Jun 5, 16 9:36 am  · 
 · 
eastcoaster

- Pay a friend 60 bucks to fix the writing. It doesn't need to be amazing, "good enough" is okay.

- You need to decide what is important about each project, and then select the appropriate representation. Then you should put it in a logical order. An example of poor logical order is the second spread of the tower project: why are we outside the tower in the renders on the left, but looking at floor plans on the bottom/right? Things don't relate. Also, doesn't this project need a section? The first spread is more successful. It seems to be about site and context and how that influenced the project. But if it's about that, shouldn't the site plan be more zoomed-out so we see what's across the street? Unless you have a really good reason, each spread should be about one thing.

- You are applying to grad school, so more emphasis on process and less emphasis on generic renders is appreciated.

Jun 6, 16 10:34 am  · 
 · 
NiaHY

Thank you everyone for the replies, I've been editing my portfolio and have been making steady progress on rearranging and revisiting the projects that I'm going to keep in.

@MinimalCrazy

Thank you for the reply! I'm contacting my professor as soon as I have a confident second edit out for him to review as you said - lots of work to be done! I'll keep your critique in mind. Any reason to take out professional work? (07) I've been in the firm for a year so worried the universities might want to know what I've been upto.

@Spoon

With everyones critique I'll look into rearranging/composing my portfolio. Thank you for taking time to read the written description. I'll keep your critique in mind!

@eastcoaster

I agree with your critique! I realize my projects are lacking a certain depth or some parts the composition wasn't done as well as it could have been. Working on it!

I'll post an updated portfolio (3rd edit maybe) later on.

I really appreciate the help given. I realize its possible that it could be my portfolio is not as strong technically and did not introduce my thoughts and processes for each project as well as it could have been.

Jul 1, 16 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

Id take out professional work because it doesn't demonstrate your creative talents/thinking. It  looks like every other residential project, and thus you will blend in with other applicants. TBH ive done one of those projects and I threw it out because it doesn't show my capabilities. I mean if you did the construction set you can throw some of those drawings in so the school will know you have technical skills.

Jul 4, 16 1:02 am  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano's comment has been hidden
Renzo's Piano
Hey helpwriting, how about you fuck off from this forum with your spam. Especially because you're advocating for writing services while you yourself have probably the worst grammar I've ever seen.
Oct 28, 16 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: