Archinect
anchor

Windows emulator

WaffleMan22

Hello everyone,

I will be attending WashU for architecture in the fall, and am really excited. I was going to get a new computer for the school year, and as a long time mac user, that is the kind that I was planning on getting. However, I was advised by faculty to get a Windows computer. Since I have used macs and other Apple devices for so long, this would be a difficult switch. The other option that I was told about was using a sort of emulator so that I can run windows on my mac. Does anyone have experience with using an emulator? Would you recommend that? Is there anything really important that I should know about that? Thanks!

May 27, 16 3:15 pm
Non Sequitur

Get twice the computer at half the cost if you build a PC.

I had a first gen intel macbook pro and ran windows through bootcamp. Worked wonderfully compared to my peers using parallels but still... it cost me like $3400 10-years ago. If you're willing to drop serious cash, design and build a PC desktop.

May 27, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

I've used-

Boot camp- comes with macs. It works but you need to flip flop between operating systems.

Parallels- runs well and interfaces nicely with the mac os. But if you buy a new machine, you must buy a new license of Parallels.

VirtualBox- Cheap (free) and stable, but needy in initial startup finding resources on the mac side.

The real question is- what are you going to do with it? If you're doing light work, fine. But once you need to start crunching numbers the emulator will get in the way.

May 27, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

you have two choices:  parallels and bootcamp.  bootcamp is just a different partition of your HDD--when you boot up you simply select windows or OSX.  the downside is you have to restart your computer to switch.  the upside is it comes with OSX, you simply need to buy windows or get a free version through your university.  

the second choice is parallels.  you pay for an emulator, parallels,  to run windows within OSX.  you don't have to restart your computer to switch.  however, there is a fairly substantial performance hit  and it flat out sucks for running compute heavy tasks like grasshopper.  

in both cases, windows will never run great on your computer, because apple spends minimum effort and time optimizing their drivers for windows.   you'll definitely want something that hits heavier than a macbook.  

May 27, 16 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

everything in architecture is on Windows. the sooner you switch, the better.

May 27, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

The issue with getting a Windows computer is that my my other devices are Apple, and they would not be (as?) compatible with a Windows computer :/

I am just getting ready to start undergrad btw

May 27, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

Has anyone made the switch from mac to windows?

May 27, 16 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I have. No issues.

what do you have that won't be compatible... esp since you're just starting?

May 27, 16 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

Well for example, I have an iPhone and I am concerned that backing it up to a windows computer would not work, and that mac programs like iTunes wouldn't work on one

May 27, 16 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Get a Windows desktop for studio. You'll be able to get higher performance components for much less than a laptop. 

Use a low powered macbook for your non-heavy lifting activities and personal life.

Unrelated advice: invest in an external HD and *back up everything frequently* 

May 27, 16 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My iphone and ipods have never had problems synch'n with either windows or mac OS.

May 27, 16 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

So you recommend that I get two computers?

May 27, 16 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I was assuming you already have some sort of Apple computer. Keep it.

May 27, 16 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

Yeah but it is already 5 years old

May 27, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

That's fine. If you're using it for light-weight day to day stuff I doubt you'll need the extra power. Invest in a high performance desktop for the big stuff (BIM, Adobe, etc.).

You can even setup a remote desktop app and access the high powered Windows machine from your low powered Mac. That'll get you better performance for less money/effort than a brand new mac running parallels.

May 27, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

Ok thank you!! I was concerned that they would stop updating it soon, but you have a good point. Would it be possible to make it with a Windows laptop? Carrying a desktop around would probably not be a good idea

May 27, 16 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: