Archinect
anchor

Way to do career transfer from Offshore structural engineer to Architect?

jaeholee

"Way to do career transfer from Offshore structural engineer to Architect?"

Hello,

I have been working as an offshore structural engineer for 8years in one of the biggest company in the world and looking for an career transfer to Building design industries.

The reason is simple. Whenever I design the offshore structures, there is no need to consider "beauty" but I wanted to think about aesthetics.

I majored in mechanical engineering and currently in the second semester of offshore plant engineering for my master degree at Seoul National University in Korea (supported by my company).

I was thinking that I have two options as follows,

First option, after finishing current master degree($ reasons in my company) I could do doctoral degree in Architecture, but not sure if this is possible.

Second option, Just to forgive current study and just go US or Australia to do master degree in Architect.

Are there anyone who could give me some advice? 

Would appreciate it so much.

Thank you for reading.

May 27, 16 12:28 pm
Dangermouse

A masters degree in architecture will better prepare you for the profession than a PhD, which is generally structured towards teaching and research.  A strong mechanical background will be a huge plus for most masters programs.  

May 27, 16 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Have you thought of becoming a naval architect? A lot of transference with what you are studying and naval architects are very concerned with aesthetics.

May 28, 16 8:16 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I would stay away from more schooling, especially for anything architecture related. Academia in architecture is more about playing out the fantasy of being a magnanimous architect, it can be fun, and you will learn to problem solve and become better with spatial relations, but you probably wont learn much about the realities of the what 'real world architecture' entails. Most of the time 'aesthetics' come last in real world architecture, so I have a feeling that you might have a slightly skewed idea of what really goes down in the architecture industry.

If anything I would switch to structural engineering, or something naval like Volunteer mentioned. I would do more research about the state of the architecture industry, for it is likely that you will be making far less money compared to staying on the path you're on.

In the end, I think you would be rather discouraged with architecture as well, because it really isnt about aesthetics.

May 28, 16 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I think you would find a master of architecture program in the US to be completely impractical and a waste of time. Even if you went to an Ivy.

I say this based on your engineering background.

If you want to think about aesthetics, as you stated as your reason for leaving engineering. My advice is to buy a copy of Kant and some paint brushes.

But Naval does sound good.
May 28, 16 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: