Archinect
anchor

Which one has more potential for research topic? study on how wind affects building or study on climate responsive architecture in high-altitude?

ickanela

Which one has more potential for research topic, study on how wind affects building or study on climate responsive architecture in high-altitude?

I'm studying Architecture. My last thread here, I posted my Thesis about Public Market but due to many reasons I decided to drop it and make a new one... If you haven't read the thread about Public Market, please do and share your opinions about it. 

I'm still quite confuse what topic I should go for. Thank you.

May 27, 16 4:14 am
gruen
The best research projects have multiple directions of investigation, which can inform each other, many of which are either/ or important or interesting.
May 27, 16 7:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
It's not a research project without a good front end question to investigate. You're essentially asking us if you should drive a red or black vehicle without knowing if it's a car, truck, or even a submarine.
May 27, 16 8:04 am  · 
 · 

Based on your previous thread, why not do something about migration and place? It's a topic that you are very familiar with and could use to reconcile some of your experiences with you desires. 

I say this because a thesis topic needs to be compelling to you and not just your advisor and a group of anonymous people with not to little impacts on your actual life. If you pick something fashionable or by vote, theres the potential for the thesis to become a burden or worse- a project that benefits your advisor and not you. 

May 27, 16 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

A thesis is supposed to be work and research to answer questions or to validate or disprove or test or investigate an assumption or group of assumptions.  I thought your public market project was a better candidate for that.  Climate-responsive architecture at high altitude might also work - though you need to develop further what it is about that that you want to challenge or investigate.  Studying how wind affects buildings seems to have less potential for embarking on a project to explore or test assumptions - it sounds more like research into a fairly well-documented, well-studied area.  You could of course focus on some specific aspect of wind's effects on architecture and develop a project around that, but alone studying wind's effects sounds rather dull (I'm sure some structural engineers and meteorologists would disagree)  Personally I'd go back to the public market idea, because as you described it there are richer issues to investigate there - architectural, cultural, socio-economical...  and frankly you sounded a lot more interested in that than in these new more vague ideas for your project.

May 27, 16 11:29 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I agree, the public market had better potential as a design thesis. These proposals sound like building science, or even mechanical engineering. They might make a good paper for a journal submission, but that's not an Architecture thesis.

May 27, 16 11:38 am  · 
 · 
ickanela

Hi!

Thank you for sharing your opinions/insight about this matter, especially to Marc Miller and Tduds! Thank you for taking time reading this thread and also the other one (Public Market). :p

Bloopox, Yes, I was interested in Public Market compared to these new ideas. I'm just having a desire (or should I say, I'm pressured?) to come up with a unique idea to make it more interesting and sounds like very new... but it might fire back at me when I do my defense... so I'm kinda not really sure about these two.

Anyway, I should stick to my Public Market then. ;)

THANK YOU. :D

May 27, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Consider designing a building or pavilion in a park that can have multiple other uses when not used as a market?

May 27, 16 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Perhaps some sort of hybrid supermarket/public market in the same space or adjacent, that could help with some of the downsides to the public market that you've mentioned (odors, sanitation, weather and temperature) while still allowing the small local vendors and negotiations over prices.

May 27, 16 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
ickanela

Hi,

<For those who don't know my dilemma>

In my univeristy, there's only two professor who handled thesis... (a) the research-based type professor (b) the project-based type professor

My adviser is A.

In our thesis 1, we were required to proposed a topic that we want to research without thinking what building we're going to design. In short, just a pure research about the topic. Example such as Study on Solar and Wind Energy, Study on technique on how to achieve Near-Zero Building. After doing the research and analysis, whatever findings or recommendations you have, based on the research you've done, you're going to apply it to the structure that you're going to propose.

The next stage of it is the proposal of the structure. We were required to proposed a structure that we want to design and apply whatever recommendation we've found based on your research.

Some of my classmates did their research and proposed a building... while on my case, I already have a building from the start -- the Public Market.

There's a good side about this though: since they did their research without thinking about the structure, they have more choices to choose whatever structure they want to design and they can change it without changing their research. Unlike on my part, i cant even change my building because from the very start I already establish what structure I want to do.

May 29, 16 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

A public market is a market, it is not necessarily a permanent or even semi-permanent structure. It is not necessarily any structure at all. A market is a function. How you handle that function is up to you. You have been given several suggestions here related to structures which can possibly accommodate that function which you don't seem to acknowledge.

May 29, 16 11:23 am  · 
 · 
ickanela

VOLUNTEER,

"it is not necessarily a permanent or even semi-permanent structure. It is not necessarily any structure at all." 

Yes, it's true but I would like you to know that since I'm doing a thesis, I have to come up a structure, right? While addressing the issues we have in our public market.

"You have been given several suggestions here related to structures which can possibly accommodate that function which you don't seem to acknowledge."

Why do you think i didn't seem to acknowledge the function of the market? Have you read my other thread about Public Market??

You also commented this: Consider designing a building or pavilion in a park that can have multiple other uses when not used as a market?

WHEN NOT USED. I'm not talking about flea market here. And it seems like you live in a country where public market is just a flea market.

For your information, I live in a developing country and this is what Public Market in my country looks like:

May 29, 16 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Do you need to find a new site for your market? Can you not take on an existing one as the basis of a redesign/expansion? Alternatively, are there abandoned large structures/buildings (ex factories) suitably located that you could reappropriate? Have you analysed the functional and environmental requirements of the layout, how to group vendors relative to each other? Have you decided on what sort of material you're going to be deploying that could be economically and energetically sustainable? Have you analysed some markets that are culturally pertinent? Have you tried to identify specific problems that could be solved at the architecturally functional level by talking to vendors (instead of us :) , water supply, hygeine, drainage, need for more shade or more light, etc. How about the process of how items are delivered, stored for a bit (or not)?

I think your choice of makret is interesting and you should take it seriously at functional, cultural, environmental and material levels that you will discover through starting this process of analysis. Work the process into a schedule so you do not get carried away and end up with interesting information but no design at the end of the course. But...start.

May 29, 16 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

.Your "public market" is more extensive than the one in our community that is open only on the weekends during harvest season and is staffed by the farmers bringing their fruits and vegetables (mostly) to town and is set up in a temporary location for a few hours.

You seem to have a large daily operation with all kinds of requirements for product delivery, water, ice-making machines, drainage, removal of spoilage, cleanliness, vehicle parking, ect.

Still, the market should be a pleasant and attractive place for people and vendors to meet. It is a definite, but worthwhile, challenge. Not much to add from what "chatter of clouds" says above.

May 30, 16 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: