Archinect
anchor

Becoming an Urban Planner

jamesandrewmagsino

I recently became a Registered and Licensed Architect. During my college days, I developed a huge interest in City Planning. Since then, I have decided to become an Urban Planner as soon as I get my license as an Architect.

The big question I am facing right now is...

What difference would it make if I take up Urban/ Regional Planning as my Master's Degree in comparison to taking a double degree as an Urban/ Regional Planner and an Architect as well?

I have wandered and tried to work as a Designer during my college days and a year after I graduated. Then I have also tried working in construction  in order to widen my knowledge in both aspects of Design and Construction before I enter the Urban Planning world. A year from now after I gathered all the knowledge I wanted to learn from both sides, I am planning to study once more but this time in the field of Urban Planning.

I'm looking forward to any advice and/ or opinion.

Thank you and God Bless

May 26, 16 9:17 pm
citizen

Most likely you're interested in urban design, which is where physical urban planning overlaps with architecture.  UD puts the skill set acquired in architectural training to work at a larger scale.  Good UD incorporates broader inputs and concepts from public policy, real estate, land economics, and other directions.

May 26, 16 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
anuvindah

Did you decide as to which path to take. I am facing the same dilemma right now.

Dec 6, 16 5:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: