Archinect
anchor

Minimum Riser before needing Handrail?

clearlyambguous

I remember reading somewhere in the code that you can avoid using a Handrail if it's 6 riser and less. I can't find this reference anymore. Does anyone know where I can locate this?

May 23, 16 1:31 pm
SneakyPete

You don't need a GUARD at less than 30". I don't know if this in any way is what you might be remembering.

I have never heard of what you're referring to. Maybe someone else has.

May 23, 16 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

The only reference I'm aware of is that you may avoid a handrail if the tread depth matches or exceeds the width of the tread. I am unaware of any other allowances base upon riser height (although a 6 inch ramp, like a curb ramp, does not require a rail either).

May 23, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

1003.5 Exception 2. 

You still have to have one rail. 

May 23, 16 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Jamb'd

For Residential:

Applicable Code: 2012 IRC Section 311.7.8

When Required: Handrails shall be provided on at least one side of each continuous run of treads or flight with four or more risers

Height: 34”–38”

May 23, 16 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Zbig

RAMPS 6 inches or less don't need handrails. Under IBC 2015 the floor surface has to contrast with the adjacent areas.

May 23, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
clearlyambguous

It's for an assembly space. I have an L shaped stair with decorative cheek walls. I'd like to be able to have 1 handrail at the corner of the L instead of at the sides of the cheek walls. Currently 5 risers at 7" with 1'6 tread depth. 

May 23, 16 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

There are some exceptions for means of egress in assembly areas.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009/icod_ibc_2009_10_sec028.htm

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2012/icod_ibc_2012_10_sec028.htm

May 23, 16 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: