Archinect
anchor

need for details

alenamishkevich

Hello,

I have some problems with my project.

I attached my sketch with “questions” in circle and computer perspective for your understanding.

1st question: I’d like to know about details, which can join parts of glass roof and wood beam (“joist”)?

2nd q.: Can you propose some firms, which have details to join glass roof, curtain wall and wood beam (“joist”)?

3rd q.: Same like the above. How I can join floor, curtain wall and wood beam (“joist”)?

P.S. And if I send my questions to wrong forum, please give me links to right ones.

Thank you for your help

May 23, 16 10:18 am
cadomestique

Simplest way, go to a storefront/curtain wall such as Kawneer and they have these details available in cad (connection to slab, top (header) and jamd (sides)

This system works well vertically, no so much as roofing like related pic.  where beams to span the distance have to be quite deep (12-14" min per my estimations)  with engineered trusses and pretty quick your transparent concept quickly goes out the window. 

May 23, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Jamb'd

Cadomestique brings up a good point regarding beam depth.  This reminds me of a similar project with a clever solution.  Rather than try to use herculean engineering to achieve the slim roof structure, the architects instead embraced the column.  They added a lot of columns which keep the beam spans short.  This consequently kept the beam depth small.  The columns then became a design feature.  The floor plan becomes a bit of challenge, but it definitely guides you toward a unique design.

http://www.archdaily.com/66661/66661

May 23, 16 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

1) since you are using frameless glass - detail will be your invention angle/clips/u channel/ silicone - otherwise select an off the shelf system with mfgred mullions and they will tell you how to connect and add the glass

2) nope

3)  hold the floor back from the edge of glass detail accordingly

Might want to figure out how your beam column connection is going to work and floor to column connection - it is not going to be a seamless miter as you have shown - that will have an effect on where and how you can apply glass.

I would dado into the face of the wood insert glass into the slot - slope the glass to drain and silicone in place - that would be a neat/abstract detail with no longevity - think old frank gehry - its gonna leak - but will be cool for a student project. 

May 23, 16 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

That whole design is a giant maintenance item. 

May 23, 16 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

I see what you're trying to do by keeping the framing on the exterior, however if you want to keep wood as the primary framing element, consider flipping your detail so that the wood would be protected from the elements.  This would allow you to use butt-jointed glazing around the entire exterior similar to this:

http://bcj.com/projects/apple-store-fifth-avenue/

or the bay window here:

http://www.studios.com/projects/georgetown_university_school_of_continuing_studies

http://www.davisconstruction.com/work/case-study/georgetown-university-school-continuing-studies

May 23, 16 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You should refrain from sketching advanced concepts like this if you have the questions you're posing. You haven't even mastered the basics and you're trying to pull off details that are difficult to achieve even with the most advanced structural engineering assistance.

May 23, 16 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Try building a physical model. You will quickly learn how, where and what type of connections are needed. Look at standard glass connection details and see what works for your application.

Structurally this design is not working yet. You will need some sort of support for the mid-section. This could be some columns to break the span or another exterior support element that carries the mid-span. Someone suggested a beefier beam, but wood has its limits. You should consider other materials like steel or a combination. Another thing you should think about is waterproofing and drainage. 

Interesting concept, keep us posted on what it becomes!

May 24, 16 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: