Archinect
anchor

architectural thesis topic selection

sahilshah

Hello everyone,

This is my first online thread and it is regarding the topic for my upcoming 10th semester thesis topic.

I have been asked to chalk out my thesis idea and it is as follows:

In the wake of technological developments enabling the easy user interfaces between the machines and the individuals, there is a growing concern regarding the takeover of actual architectural spaces by the virtual architecture interfaces in the minds of the youth. The youth today carries the playground / play courts right in their pockets and have failed to acknowledge the actual experiences of different spaces crafted to house a particular sport / function, varying in scale, colour, texture, temperature, lighting etc. and have welcomed the idea of a common instrument or gadget giving them a virtual space right in their living room !!!! In short the same gadget becomes different sports equipment thus the sense of texture of the bat / racket is lost.

In contrast to them, I see the unprivileged at the orphanages completely utilising the space meant to invoke different psychological aspects of spaces need to be experienced to differentiate the spaces. The similar scenario can be seen in old age homes as both these institutions are devoid of this virtual reality inventions. My thesis is on formulating an institution that houses both old age homes and orphanages in order to complete the wanting of a family and establish a new community. The catch lies in designing an urban space which plays a medium of interactions developed in a mixed use setup institution between the old age homes, orphanages and the people of the city. The design is completely psychological based which invokes the sensory architecture of spaces and redefines the meaning of experiencing architecture the way it needs to be. The old age homes and orphanages will help propagate this idea. The institution would raise the funds for the homes and create an interaction among the people and the unprivileged in a space designed to be experienced.

Does a thesis on my intended topic have a scope of contributing to the society??

Pls help me....... All suggestions and crits are welcome.

Thank you in advance...  :)

May 19, 16 2:41 pm
no_form
tldr. Start there.

narrow down to three sentences max. What? That's impossible? Too hard? Reign your thinking and thesis question in.
May 19, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"In contrast to them, I see the unprivileged at the orphanages completely utilising the space meant to invoke different psychological aspects of spaces need to be experienced to differentiate the spaces. "

What a sentence...

How is architecture a solution that will give parents to orphans or caring families to the elderly? You're attempting to fix a non-architecture problem with street furniture.

May 19, 16 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
sahilshah

@no_form

Thank you ..surely will rephrase the idea as short as possible .. just wrote the whole thing as i was unsure whether the story or idea would fail to be conveyed as its the first draft.

Thanks again.

May 19, 16 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
sahilshah

@ non sequitur

Thanks for the feedback. yeah i accept that the sentences are not likely to be framed well . i thought that the idea of mixing the two institutions has not yet been implemented except 2-3 in my state.. i thought that the idea of the mixed use institution would provide the quality of the space i wish to establish . the mixed use space can be urban as well as psychologically choreographed.

Thanks again 

May 19, 16 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

This sounds like an interesting project. There are limits to what architecture can do but, I believe you can create a design that can increase the quality of life for both groups.

I hope you are not just using this as a rationale for form and space finding. One of the worst student projects I have ever seen was a design for a mental institution. The spaces were so eccentric that if some one with paranoid schizophrenia were to go into that building, they would think that they had been abducted by aliens.

Designing for older individuals will require extra sensitivity and restraint. Many of the elderly have health and memory issues. Their living units will need to have sound separation from the orphanage and from street noise. 

May 19, 16 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

If you haven't already, do some research on Intergenerational Housing. It's especially popular in Japan, and while I haven't seen any successful models firsthand in the US, the concept is becoming a common lower-level studio project.

Personally, I think your idea needs some tweaking. But I think you've got a decent jumping-off point to start exploring from. Go dig up precedents and let them guide you towards a better problem to solve, then make the best solution you can.

May 19, 16 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
sahilshah

@z1111 I completely agree with you.. Yeah I still need to look on the subject in much depth as this is just the initial draft.. I am currently referring psychological architecture topic to get more insights.. Yeah I will surely keep this points to Frame a more specific question on this topic

May 20, 16 4:48 am  · 
 · 
sahilshah

@tduds Yeah I'll surely look up on the intergenerational thing in Japan. Actually I think I'll go up for creating different buildings for both groups as psychology deals with the children separate from the old people.. The urban thing can be the core of the project being used by both groups as well as people of the city.. It can turn out to be a mixed used ground spaces as well using landscape architecture also..

May 20, 16 4:54 am  · 
 · 
sahilshah

@tduds and @z1111 Thanks a lot to both of you.. I'll surely consider the points and aspects u both informed me to look for..

May 20, 16 4:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: