Archinect
anchor

M.Arch/MBA at Yale

Apoorva91

Hey everyone! 

Can anyone tell me their experiences/expectations of this dual degree of M.Arch/MBA at Yale? Has anybody here pursued this/pursuing/prospective applicant of this course? what are your thoughts/expectations and your experiences of this course?

All responses are welcome

May 19, 16 9:28 am
Aluminate

A more recent grad may be able to give you a better idea on whether any of this has changed significantly, but here are my recollections from some years ago:  Very few students were enrolled in this option.  During my years in the architecture school I believe there was only one M.Arch/MBA student.  There were some others who had applied for that option but didn't get in, because it required separate admissions by the two schools and it was quite unusual to be accepted to both.

It was pretty much just two separate degree programs done simultaneously - little if any integration of curricula, and requiring all or most of the core courses of both schools.  The one guy who was doing it just wasn't around the studio as much (the architecture school and business school aren't in close proximity to each other either) and his overall time at the university was longer so it put him out of sync with his class and he graduated with a later year than the first-year class he'd started in.  The last I heard he was working in real estate while pursuing a partly-online law degree.

May 19, 16 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Apoorva91

Dear Aluminate,

Thank you for the answer! its great to find some insight/experience regarding this course.

It must have been tough, I mean not even being able to attend studio!

Well, your answer gave me lot of new information so thanks a lot!!

May 20, 16 1:23 am  · 
 · 
archhopeful

These days there are a handful of M.Arch/MBAs per year at Yale as well as several M.Arch dual degree students with the School of Forestry. Yes, dual degree students graduate a year later than the class they enter with, but this isn't unusual. The classes shift regardless because of dual degree students, students who take a year off and return, post-pro students joining, etc. You do have to be accepted to both SOA and SOM separately, but you can apply to SOM any time before the end of your second year. You are required to do the first two full years at SOA, the full third year at SOM, and a fourth year at both. Aside from the fourth year there is no reason why being a dual degree student would keep you away from studio in your first or second year.

May 20, 16 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

I didn't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with graduating a year later (other than a year of extra tuition and year of lost earning opportunity - which may or may not be balanced by increased earning potential) - just that it's something to consider.  These days the classes are a great deal larger, and there seems to be more flux.  Back in my day (do I sound like an old geezer?) the 1st year classes were about half the size they are now, and it was fairly unusual for anyone to drop out or take a leave of absence (all but two of us who started together in first year graduated together.  The 2nd year post-pros did join our class in our 3rd year - but there were very few of them too at the time, and the Forestry dual degree option didn't exist yet), so getting out of sync was unusual.  It sounds like it's also been better planned to avoid the two schools' curricula overlapping as much and interfering with studio time. 

May 20, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: